BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The TV & DVD selections that are on Individualizer's iDrive is the optional factory BMW entertainment system.

For around $500 you get the Dension Gateway (GW) 500 kit which integrates iPod, USB, and RCA inputs in your car while retaining your CDC. As far as I know Individualizer was only looking for these features since he already has the entertainment system.

If you desire video functions you buy an additional adapter that attaches to the GW 500. I suppose we have yet to see the GW function correctly on the 7 Series. Nevertheless many say that it is possible.

I personally think that Individualizer is having problems with text display because he has the entertainment system installed. There have been known issues concerning the ability to have an iPod interface in a car with the entertainment system.

Hopefully he gets things straightened out. Another member on this forum named DFL750 also purchased this setup but is waiting on the delivery and install of it. He does not have the entertainment system so we'll see how it works out with him.

Good luck Individualizer!

·
Tirona
604 Posts
The TV & DVD selections that are on Individualizer's iDrive is the optional factory BMW entertainment system.

For around $500 you get the Dension Gateway (GW) 500 kit which integrates iPod, USB, and RCA inputs in your car while retaining your CDC. As far as I know Individualizer was only looking for these features since he already has the entertainment system.

If you desire video functions you buy an additional adapter that attaches to the GW 500. I suppose we have yet to see the GW function correctly on the 7 Series. Nevertheless many say that it is possible.

I personally think that Individualizer is having problems with text display because he has the entertainment system installed. There have been known issues concerning the ability to have an iPod interface in a car with the entertainment system.

Hopefully he gets things straightened out. Another member on this forum named DFL750 also purchased this setup but is waiting on the delivery and install of it. He does not have the entertainment system so we'll see how it works out with him.

Good luck Individualizer!
Well all im looking 4 is a system that is control thru iDrive n it controls TV DVD n a hard drive. thats all i need. I dont need no ipod. I hate mac products.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm currently looking for a backup camera with IR and distance indicator. Needs to be NTSC or it will not work connected to the OEM BMW TV tuner. I really like the specs of th Sanyo CCA-BC200 but I really want it to be built in the key hole of the trunk. Any advise is welcome!

·
Tirona
604 Posts
Well u have a DVD n Tv in yr car as a standard options but i got a us specs car so i dont have them. So im trying to get them. Im not sure if this DG ill perform those functions. Thats all i need. Like i said i dont like mac prodructs. I just want a HD.

·
Tirona
604 Posts
No nothing else, but maybe video can only come from the iPod, not the HD.
Check their website to be 100% sure: www.dension.com
I don't have the AVR module so I can't verify that.

You can also check m0bridge, they also have nice modules...
How about if i want to do a retrofit from eu on the tv n dvd will that work?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
I found out that there is a huge difference in used modules between EU spec cars with and without rear seat entertainment:

The rear entertainment system offers the following benefits:
- Maximum degree of comfort and exclusivity.
- Audio sources can be used independently of one another (audio CD via loudspeakers and audio DVD via headphones). For the E65MU, the CD changer is also an MP3 player.
- High resolution for films on DVD.
- Easy operation via the rear controller.
- Possible to watch TV or films during a journey. Digital television now possible with best possible reception quality.

The following additional components are installed for the rear entertainment system:
- Rear display: The rear display is an advanced TFT display with picture format 16:9. The visible area is 144 mm x 79.5 mm groß (6.5") with a resolution of 400 x 240 pixels. The rear display is connected to the rear display control unit by an LVDS data wire (Low Voltage Differential Signaling).

- Headphones connector module: The headphones connector module is integrated into the rear compartment centre armrest. The headphones connector module has 2 active connections for the headphones. When headphones are connected, the sound is emitted through the headphones. The two sets of headphones can only receive a single common audio source. The headphones are not part of the delivery specification. All standard headphones with an impedance of 8 to 600 ohms can be connected. The plug connector has a diameter of 3.5 mm. [more ...]

The following control units are needed for the rear entertainment system:

- SG-FD: Rear display control unit The rear display has its own control unit. The rear display control unit is installed in the centre console. The rear display control unit is connected to the MOST network. The control unit receives analogue video signals from the video module via a red-green-blue wire. The control signals are transmitted via the K-CAN SYSTEM. The control unit rear display generates digital image signals that are transmitted to the rear display via a LVDS data wire. These image signals are converted to a graphic image in the rear display.

- FCON: Rear controller The rear controller is ergonomically located on the center armrest in the rear compartment. In terms of construction and operation, the rear controller is identical to the controller in the front. The rear controller is connected to the rear compartment centre armrest control centre via a ribbon cable. The K-CAN SYSTEM is looped through the rear compartment centre armrest control centre.

- BZMF: Rear compartment centre armrest control centre In principle, the BZMF has the same functions as the centre console switch centre in the front. The rear compartment centre armrest control centre holds the rear controller and the seat adjustment buttons. The headphones connector module is on the front of the centre armrest. The rear compartment centre armrest control centre is the interface between the rear controller and the bus system

- KHI: Headphones interface: The headphones interface is located at the rear left in the luggage compartment. The headphones interface forms the interface between the optical MOST bus and the headphones connector module. The audio data and the control signals travel through the MOST bus to the headphones interface. The audio signals generated by the two control units (e.g. tuner, CD, DVD) are transmitted to the headphones interface with a sensing frequency of 44.1 kHz. The headphones interface processes the audio data for each headphones socket separately. The headphone connector module receives the analogue audio data through the stereo cable for each set of headphones.

- VM: Drive video module: The drive video module is located at the rear left in the luggage compartment, under the navigation computer. The drive video module is only used with option 603 "Rear monitor" (e.g. instead of video module 5). The drive video module processes the video signals from the DVD changer and from the navigation computer. The drive video module has 3 TV tuners to ensure interference-free TV reception even while the vehicle is being driven. This is why the system is designated "Drive": because the system can still be used in the rear while the vehicle is being driven. The drive video module offers the following functions:
* TV reception even while the vehicle is being driven (in rear only)
* Data copying and output on both displays
* Output of different entertainment sources on both displays
* Decoding of FBAS (Composite Video Burst Synchronisation) signals with respect to colour
* Connection of video camera possible (e.g. for special solutions with individual equipment)

- DVDC: DVD changer or DVD multimedia changer The DVD changer is located at the rear left in the luggage compartment, above the navigation computer. It is only possible to insert or remove the magazine from inside the luggage compartment. The DVD changer is an advanced development of the CD changer. The DVD changer is not only able to play DVDs, but also any audio CD (multimedia-compatible). The DVD changer has a MOST interface for transmitting digital audio data. The image signals are transmitted to the video module via a FBAS wire. The video module duplicates the data. The data are then sent on to the Control Display and the rear display control unit via a red-green-blue wire.

1 Safety and gateway module (SGM)
2 Diagnosis wire
3 Centre console switch centre (BZM)
4 Controller (CON)
5 Control Display (CD)
6 CD changer (CDC)
7 Aerial tuner (ANT)
8 Amplifier (AMP)
9 Woofer and rear and front centre loudspeakers
10 TV aerial 1
11 Aerial amplifier
12 TV aerial 2
13 Voice recognition system (SVS)
14 Aerial amplifier
15 TV aerial 3
16 Navigation system (NAV)
17 Video module (VM)
18 DVD changer (DVDC)
19 Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service (SDARS), US version only
20 Headphone interface (KHI)
21 Front loudspeakers
22 Audio system controller
23 Rear display
24 MOST port
25 Rear display control unit (SG-FD)
26 Headphones connector module
27 Rear compartment centre armrest control centre (BZMF)
28 Rear controller (FCON)
30 Terminal 30 (power supply)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Kontir, find my post about the Gateway, but i don't have rear entertainment. I spend quite awhile with the guy on the phone to confirm that I only need the two pieces, the Gateway and the AVR.

·
Tirona
604 Posts
Kontir, find my post about the Gateway, but i don't have rear entertainment. I spend quite awhile with the guy on the phone to confirm that I only need the two pieces, the Gateway and the AVR.
I dont got rear entertainment either. All i need is 2 tv on the back n digital tv tuner n a hd 4 music n movies. all this functions to be controled by the iDrive. Thats all i want. N maybe that wiDrive to update the music n the movies.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.