BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I just replaced the CCV system on my '05 325Ci. I did this because of a consistent SES light that came on every 250 miles or so, and a slight oil leak that suddenly got worse. Disassembly found the dipstick return tube had fractured in two.

During reassembly, I thought everything went well, took my time to make sure I was doing everything right (as per the 50s Kid on YouTube). Return hose from oil separator back to manifold was really tough to connect on both ends, but I thought I finally did it. All other hoses seem to be tight. All wiring is hooked up correctly.

The problem- when I started the car afterwards, it ran very rough, searching for idle. Heard a random "clack" sound (not continuous, just a random noise) from the manifold. Then it threw like 10 codes. A 306 Random misfire code, was stored, along with specific misfire codes for all six cylinders pending. P0171 & 174 codes were also pending. Short-term fuel trims that were 15-18% before the replacement were at 24%. Cleared the codes & restarted engine. It was a bit smoother, codes didn't come back, but the random "clack" noise was still there.

What did I miss? Any help is appreciated!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,084 Posts
Did you replace (or at least thoroughly clean out) the dipstick tube with a new one ? This is an essential part of the repair process.

Have you examined/repaired/replaced the DISA valve ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked over the DISA valve- nothing obvious wrong, but what should I look for?
I did pull the dipstick tube, sprayed WD40 down the oil return pipe and watched it drip out the end. That would seem to indicate the tube is clear.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The best way to clean the dipstick tube is used brake cleaner.

Those 2 codes are classic indications of vacuum leaks. The best way to find vacuum leaks is to have the intake smoke tested. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Re-check wiring connectors. The first time I did a CCV, it ran fine but wouldn't idle. I had left one connector unplugged, coming from near the front of the big junction box as I recall. Hope it's that simple for U.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts