BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one knew if a 3.0 from an x3 bolts right in to an x3 2.5. And if they do does it matter what year engine goes in, not sure if bmw made any changes to the motor.
Im thinking of swapping out the engine, it has 160,000 miles and burns a ton of oil about a quart every 500 miles. The car it self is in great condition and for the price of an engine and labor its still a lot cheaper to replace the motor than buy a new one.

·
Anti-Hack
5,100 Posts
Is it a ring issue or a valve issue? Might be easier and cheaper yet to just do a valve job. Or replace the CCV system that is probably inhaling oil too.

To do that swap, it would be easiest with a donor vehicle as you'd need the engine, wiring harness, and various other nickel and dime parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've actually had the CCV replaced twice, fixes thesis for a month or so then back the same old. Could be worn rings but doesn't that cost a lot to have replaced?
So just to make sure I'm clear the M54 is the 3.0 and it needs to be a 06 05 04 ect?

·
Anti-Hack
5,100 Posts
M54 is 2.5 and 3.0. And yes, '06 and older. Though be aware, many state emissions laws don't allow the installation of an engine older than the car it's going into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts