BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My 2005 X3 has a problem with the radio sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone figured this out before I start digging?
Thanks
PS All fuses are good including the one in the back of the radio

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
As with all weird electrical problems in these E83s, after checking the fuse (and fixing why a fuse blew), must-dos are to 1) check/charge/replace the battery, 2) check the condition of the battery cables, and 3) (if not already done) replace the two main ground straps (RHS+rear of engine), near K-member, and the one on the exhaust system (LHS, below passenger's door). Then, of course, is to scan your OBD-II codes with a BMW-specific scanner.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My 06 radio has ALWAYS been flaky. Sometimes works, sometimes waits a few minutes to pop on, sometimes doesn't come back on until a trip or two later.

Gremlins

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,513 Posts
Hello My 2005 X3 has a problem with the radio sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't. Has anyone figured this out before I start digging? Thanks. PS All fuses are good including the one in the back of the radio
How do you know whether the radio ***8220;comes on***8221; or not? Does it light up, does the sound come on, does an icon light?

On mine 2012 MY X5 an icon lights but the sound does not necessarily come right up. The volume may have to be raised to be audible.

Default volume settings are in iDrive ***8216;Tone***8217; settings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The radio worked when I bought it but became temperamental would work and then not even power up. I changed it with a used OEM Ebay Radio with a 6 moth warranty and is as good as new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts