Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my daughter's 2006 325i with I-drive. I'm not around it a lot but here's what's led up to question:
1. Car was at body shop for some repair work on right rear door (was tagged in parking lot).
2. Went to pick up car this evening and had to jump start as battery wouldn't turn motor over. Thought that was odd since the body shop and I are pretty tight and they knew I'd be picking up after hours. Oh well, I'm sure they've had doors and trunk open a lot. It wasn't having any known battery issues before being dropped off.
3. Drove car about 15 miles and it starts fine now (or did for 3 times). No warning lights on at all after I reset date/time.

THE QUESTION: I noticed after shutdown that the gear indicator light was on at least 7-10 min after shutting off (doors unlocked and key out of ignition) - IS this NORMAL for these vehicles? Or (in Oak Island narrator voice) is the gear indicator trying to tell me that there's an electrical problem and that's what is suddenly causing the battery drain?

I did try to search on this issue but had no luck so anything that anyone can offer (or attest if their gear indicator light stays on) is much appreciated!

Paul in Tennessee

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes it's normal. The light is on as long as the car is awake. It should go off after around 15 minutes, when the car goes into sleep mode.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,280 Posts
Yes it's normal. The light is on as long as the car is awake. It should go off after around 15 minutes, when the car goes into sleep mode.
...and the car goes into sleep mode FASTER when the car is LOCKED than when it is left unlocked.
The car stays awake for 3 to 20 minutes, depending on how you shut it off. I worked up the shutdown conditions on my F22 a few years ago. The E90 series is similar. I measured the various modes that effect how long it takes before the car goes to sleep. "Sleep" is defined as the auxiliary power turning off, as measured at the fuse connection for the lighters located in the trunk. Time was measured by checking the time stamps on my rear dash camera, which turns on and off with the auxiliary sockets, via a tap at the fuse.

There are four different times that come into play before the car goes to sleep: 3, 12, 14, and 20 minutes. Details follow. All times measured were within one second of the number of minutes listed, effectively the available precision of the camera time display.

3 minute shutdown
If the engine is off, the car goes to sleep 3 minutes after the doors are manually locked, regardless of other factors. If the radio is on, it turns off immediately upon door locking.

12 minute shutdown
The car will wake up if a door or the trunk is opened. The car then goes to sleep 12 minutes after the door or trunk is closed if the lock button is not pressed. The door lock stays in whatever state in which it was left.

14 minute shutdown
The car wakes up if the doors are unlocked. If no door is opened, the doors re-lock automatically 2 minutes after they are unlocked, and the car goes to sleep 12 minutes after that.

20 minute shutdown
Just about every other case results in the car going to sleep 20 minutes after the engine is shutdown. If the radio is on when the engine is shutoff, it turns itself off 8 minutes after engine shutdown, with the car going to sleep 12 minutes after that.
__​

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Those times...are those for the F22? The post immediately following yours, with the BMW documentation, seems to not match your observations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts