BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to car yesterday and rear passenger side window down 3 inches. I am original owner and this same regulator was replaced in 2008 under warranty.

Began reading up on window regulator replacement and the one step in the process that has conflicting information is whether the window needs to be removed prior to removing regulator. The DIY is surprising limited on this subject.
Pelican Parts step by step stated that in E90 window MUST be removed because regulator will bind on it during removal. Bentley manual also indicated window needs to be removed.
On the other hand I have watched YouTube videos ....two on an E90 and the other an X3. The former left the window alone, the later removed the window after major disassembly of trim.

Anybody have experience with this replacement?? I like to know all the steps before starting a repair. I'm surprised how little help Bentley Manual is.

I assume when the plastic sled breaks the window drops, and not somebody tried to break into my car??

·
Registered
633 Posts
Window does NOT need to be removed. I've done this like 4 times. Take the door panel off and prop the window up while you replace the regulator. Not that hard of a job once you've done it once

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, appreciate the reply. If you read this,please confirm you have an E90 to ease my mind.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think the confusion comes from BMW's information where a preliminary work link before replacing the window regulator shows removal of the window. The preliminary work steps is from another repair where it explains on how to disconnect the window from the regulator if the window needs to be replaced. The only suggestion here is to lower the window ~120mm so that you can remove the window from the regulator clip. Once the window is removed push it back up to the closed position and use tape, preferable painters tape, to hold the window in position. From that point forward the regulator is pretty easy to remove. It is not required to remove the window to replace the regulator. I have done a few of these before on E90's and they are pretty easy just like mbanks21 said.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for all the responses. All very helpful. Removed the door panel couple hours ago, only to find that the last person to remove the panel...the BMW technician back in 2008...left the vapor barrier unattached to the bottom of the door as well as a couple of broken door panel clips. Now I know why I had wet carpet after a heavy rain. Although it was the front floor. I trust "Askthecarexpert" on YouTube expertize that often the leak is coming from a door different than the obvious one.

Ordered the necessary parts from BavAuto. After an hour of conflict went with the OEM part. The URO regulator has a lifetime warranty. Sometimes I make irrational choices.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ordered the necessary parts from BavAuto. After an hour of conflict went with the OEM part. The URO regulator has a lifetime warranty. Sometimes I make irrational choices.
You made the right decision ordering an OE replacement. Aftermarket regulators are typically not very good regardless of how they are advertised. It's the only reason we sell Genuine and OE (when available). All aftermarket regulators generally speaking fail within a year. The cost savings is not worth doing the job over and over again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Finished the job with OEM part. First window regulator. My struggles for those that never dd it before:

I could not attach the plastic button to the window with the regulator attached to the door. Had to remove the middle and bottom nut and loosen the top nut to allow play for the button to engage the hole in the window. Was a little surprised by the uneasy sounds as I refastened the nuts and the window further seated on the plastic sled.
For what ever reason I could not get the door panel to seat on the door and luckily bought several extra door panel clips because I broke a few. Persistence accomplished the task. The clips don't all align simultaneously with the holes in the door. I think the original clips were thicker than the OEM I just purchased from BavAuto.

The window regulator easily is removed from the door with the window taped shut. Once again Bentley Manual incorrect.

I had the issue with the intermittent opening and closing of the window. Bentley states to open fully and hold button for 15 seconds to delete prior initialization. Not true. Window had to be closed fully and switch held for 15 seconds for that function, followed by closing and opening fully so that window would function normally. Also had the issue with the window automatically opening when in the fully closed position as well as the window not working at all. Had to disconnect the switch several times as well as reinitialize.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts