BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have An 11-year old e90 325i. It has only 67,000 miles. I decided to keep it when I bought my 2015 528iX, and I gave it to my teenage kids to drive to school. Now I'm trying to decide if it's time to sell it. I've had to replace the following items over the last three years: belt tensioner, valve cover gasket, both right and left rear window regulators, and water pump and thermostat. So my question is this: what's the next well-know, expected repair on this car?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have An 11-year old e90 325i. It has only 67,000 miles. I decided to keep it when I bought my 2015 528iX, and I gave it to my teenage kids to drive to school. Now I'm trying to decide if it's time to sell it. I've had to replace the following items over the last three years: belt tensioner, valve cover gasket, both right and left rear window regulators, and water pump and thermostat. So my question is this: what's the next well-know, expected repair on this car?
Oil filter housing, VANOS solenoid, starter maybe?

Not a whole lot more. The N52 is pretty reliable.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Um.....battery replacement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, probably battery this winter. Last time I replaced it was about 5 years ago. Should also note that I had all six ignition coils and spark plugs replaced about two years ago. I'm just afraid I have another $1,000+ repair on the horizon.

Vanos solenoid seems like a possible next repair. I periodically get "check engine" light in really cold weather. The light goes away after a day or two, but I had the code checked once it and it suggested the fault was with the vanos solenoid.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Oil filter housing, VANOS solenoid, starter maybe?

Not a whole lot more. The N52 is pretty reliable.
+1 and also oil pan gasket eventually. They all leak but as long as you keep the motor full of oil, the pan leak won't really damage anything. Just an inconvenience to keep topping off oil

You'll want to service the trans before it becomes an issue as well. Fluid and filter change if auto. Fluid change if manual

·
Restoration Enthusiast
104 Posts
Even if you spend another $1000 over the next year or so in repairs, there really isn't a whole lot left that you'll need to replace. You will have replaced the common wear items and will get another 10 years out of those items. Properly maintained BMW's will last for along long time. Plus, your kids are riding around in a very safe car that you know inside and out. One that's paid for none the less. Perhaps they can help cover some of the cost of repair or maintenance. Will continue to teach your kids about car maintenance and develop more of an appreciation for the car if their money is helping to maintain it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I own a 07 E90 and have replaced all you have said, save for the window regulators.

I'm at 103K...I would say you're doing well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts