BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just received my 2006 330i black/alum/terra with sports pk, premium pk, comfort access, sat radio and heated seats. It is awesome! (especially compared to my old 97 318ti). I'm eagerely awaiting delivery of my new sprint bluetooth phone too (and the 'fun' that may likely follow there too).

I had some questions about the fold up side mirrors. What exactly is the purpose of having this option (beyond looking cool, which it does)? Was the purpose for when in tightparking situations (in which case if you needed to fold up your side mirrors for extra space how on earth would you get out of your car to begin with)? Does this option serve some benefit when in the snow or something (live in deep south here - no snow)?

Lastly, is there any way link the folding up to when you automatically lock your car, and folding down to when you unlock or start it? Or does it always have to be done manually by pushing then button?

thanks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
if you have comfort accces, all you need to do is keep your finger on the ridges for 2sec and they will fold up. Later when you open the door, they will fold open automatically.

If you live in a city where you parallel park, folding the mirror protects them from other careless drivers. It's pretty annnoying to come back to your car to find your mirror cracked or hanging off...:mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so i read through the forums and found out the purpose of the folding mirrors, ie tight parking situations. But my last question remains, is there any way to link the folding up of the mirrors to locking the dar doors, or must the button be pushed manually?

thanks..

·
Registered
254 Posts
deepmann said:
Okay so i read through the forums and found out the purpose of the folding mirrors, ie tight parking situations. But my last question remains, is there any way to link the folding up of the mirrors to locking the dar doors, or must the button be pushed manually?

thanks..
Reread ssaq's post above, he answered your question.

Also, if you use the button on the mirror controls on the inside of the driver door to fold the mirrors, they will unfold when you start driving at around 20mph.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use mine to park in my garage, very narrow and I have to enter at an angle.

If you use the key to lock the doors and keep it turned to the right as you lock it, it will lock the doors, roll up all the windows, close the sunroof and fold the mirrors. In that case, when you unlock the car with the remote it will unfold the mirrors too. If you folded the mirrors with the button inside the car, the mirrors will not unfold when you unlock the car with the remote but only when you press the fold button or drive faster than 25mph.

I really wish the same functionality as holding the key all the way to the right was available through the remote control, silly really.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Without comfort access I have found no way to make the mirrors fold in when you lock the car via the fob. It has to be done via the button inside or manually with the key.

I have a tight garage and my kids have hit my mirrors in the past when they get their bikes out, so I like folding them up in the garage to help them avoid my wrath.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The folding mirrors are great. My daughter-in-law is a lovely lady, caring mother of two of our grandchildren, and she treats our son well. However, her Mazda MPV does not have folding mirrors, and the right side mirror has bitten the dust twice via indiscreet contact with the side post of their garage, while backing out with two screaming youngsters in the back seat. That's roughly $200 x 2. Fortunately, our son admires her for her numerous other virtues and has tolerated this repeating disaster, which may yet happen again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Warning Guys

deepmann said:
Hi All,

I had some questions about the fold up side mirrors. What exactly is the purpose of having this option (beyond looking cool, which it does)? Was the purpose for when in tightparking situations (in which case if you needed to fold up your side mirrors for extra space how on earth would you get out of your car to begin with)? Does this option serve some benefit when in the snow or something (live in deep south here - no snow)?

Lastly, is there any way link the folding up to when you automatically lock your car, and folding down to when you unlock or start it? Or does it always have to be done manually by pushing then button?

WARNING

I had a scare tonight when I took my car for a ride. I had closed the mirrors manually and forgot that I had done this. I took out the car and pressed the auto mirrors button and guess what? I heard a loud cracking sound so scary the mirrors were turned the opposite direction. I managed to spin it around and had it working normally again.:bigpimp: :p

·
Registered
533 Posts
in large cities like chicago a drive down any side street would easily answer your question. There are many narrow side streets in larger cities that have cars parked on both side of the street. You often see mirrors dangling or on the ground , victims to the poor estimation of distance by drivers. Pushing a button is easier than pushing the mirror in. Unfortunately, the only option I wanted form the premium packjage was the folding mirrors but I could not justify the expense of the package just for this option. In less urban areas I would rarely use this feature unless my garage was a tight fit.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think the folding mirrors are more useful in Europe than in the US since they have many more narrow streets than we do. The unfolding at 20mph is more of a mystery.....I mean, if you're driving down a road that is THAT narrow would you really be going up to 20mph? Clearly I didn't learn to drive in Italy.

Regarding the folding/unfolding with the fob or the button: BMW screwed this one up. There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to program this operation for auto fold/unfold with the remote. Maybe they will update via the next I-Drive software versions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I can tell you I really miss this feature. I thought when I got my 06 Z4, it would have the feature also, but it doesn't. I would fold the mirrors of my E90 everywhere. specially public parkings. Here in Florida it seems that they keep on making parking spaces smaller and smaller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts