BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background (you can skip to the actual question if you dont want to read all of this :p )
I have a 2001 330ci which I acquired via European Delivery way back in the day :bigpimp:

I remember hearing about beewang's annual ED trips a long long time ago and being intrigued but never ran the actual #s. I recently decided to look into the actual #s involved with this. I've spent a LOT of time with spreadsheets (both my own and the ones posted on this forum) and absorbing everything there is to know about the new 3series and what has changed with the ED process. I have copy & pasted all the tips & tidbits into a text file that is quite huge at this point :thumbup:

At this point I've decided that I'll be doing basically annual (or every 18 months -- depends on timing of lease deals) European Delivery trips. The cost of this with the MSDs is in the same ballpark (or even cheaper) as the depreciation+maintenance of keeping my existing E46 but I'll be driving a car with newer design, features (premium, GPS, CA, PDC, 18" wheels, all of which I dont have on my E46 now).

So for the car to order for delivery in Sept-earlyNov (timeframe is very flexible), I am not totally tied to any specific car since I will be only having it for 12-18 months and they are all great cars anyway :D. That said, I would prefer, in order:
* 2007 335i coupe/sedan if it has attractive lease terms (am guessing this is probably not likely in the beginning, especially for the coupe)
* 2007 328i coupe/sedan if attractive lease terms (similarly, am guessing this is probably not likely in the beginning, especially for the coupe)
* 2006 330i sedan -- this is the only one with announced lease terms and they are quite good due to the high residual (74% with 10k miles/yr) and low MF (.00195 before ED adder and before MSD reductions).

The 2007 models are unknown both in terms of MF,residual (coupe) and pricing,MF,residual (sedan) -- whereas the 2006 330i terms is a known good deal.

My question:
At this point I have found a dealer that has agreed to my terms on 2006 330i -- $XXX markup on invoice and the full $200 markup on acquisition fee (since I might find some difficulty getting approved, even though I have 750 FICO credit score but because I already have existing E46 car loan at 3.49% and $430/mo which I still have on my credit report) = total price of $XXXX markup, and base rate on the MF.

However, if the 2007 leasing details are published in approx 2 weeks and are halfway decent, I'd want to cancel my 2006 330i ED order and do a different ED order for a 2007 328i/335i coupe/sedan instead.

I understand that since I am in CA I would not be out any $$ and would get all the deposit + MSDs back -- but I also read on this forum that this can screw over the dealer to some extent. I'm thinking that the later this cancellation is, the worse it is for the dealer. If I were to cancel 6-8 weeks before the actual ED pickup (e.g., I agree to terms now, 2 weeks from now in earlyAugust I cancel the order for the lateSept/earlyOct pickup) how bad of a spot is the dealer in? I'm looking to setup a relationship with a dealer I can use everytime, without hassle, and don't want to burn any bridges.

Thanks very much -- in advance for any replies for this question, and for the information I have received so far which has saved me thousands of $$ :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Most dealers like repeat business

"I'm looking to setup a relationship with a dealer I can use everytime, without hassle, and don't want to burn any bridges."

Most dealers like repeat business - that's where they can mark it up due to the relationship (and rightly so). Believe you me, with the CA, Sales Manager, General Manager, and Dealer Principal looking after the dealership - they aren't going to get screwed by little you. Be honest and fair, and go for the price you want - don't worry about the dealer. They can say no. When was the last time you saw a BMW dealer go under due to being screwed?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,692 Posts
If you are looking to build a relationship, you are not going about it the right way if you place an order for a factory delivery car you might wish to cancel.

Compared to standard orders, the dealer has more paperwork and it's not stuff that most do every day so some don't even like doing it that much (my take is that it's no big deal but I'm not in the auto industry or at a dealership).

If you really want to build a relationship with the dealer, you should be forthright with the salesman and tell them what you are thinking.

If you cancel in advance of a production number being assigned, that would probably be less of a big deal by the way, at least that's what I would imagine to be the case.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chrischeung said:
"I'm looking to setup a relationship with a dealer I can use everytime, without hassle, and don't want to burn any bridges."

Most dealers like repeat business - that's where they can mark it up due to the relationship (and rightly so). Believe you me, with the CA, Sales Manager, General Manager, and Dealer Principal looking after the dealership - they aren't going to get screwed by little you. Be honest and fair, and go for the price you want - don't worry about the dealer. They can say no. When was the last time you saw a BMW dealer go under due to being screwed?
Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about them going out of business -- my concern is that it would be inconvenient to me to have find another dealer if they were so inconvenienced that it made future business awkward.

Reasons:
* I have agreed to attractive terms with a 5min phone call. I called up and presented the $XXX markup for the CA, $200 markup for the finance team, mentioned other things that implicitly show that I know the #s (MSD, .003 adder, the residual etc) and there was no pushback at all. They called back a little later to say they could do the deal.
* they are 5minutes away from both work & home
* they have excellent service reputation based on searched posts on this forum.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jspira said:
If you are looking to build a relationship, you are not going about it the right way if you place an order for a factory delivery car you might wish to cancel.

Compared to standard orders, the dealer has more paperwork and it's not stuff that most do every day so some don't even like doing it that much (my take is that it's no big deal but I'm not in the auto industry or at a dealership).

If you really want to build a relationship with the dealer, you should be forthright with the salesman and tell them what you are thinking.

If you cancel in advance of a production number being assigned, that would probably be less of a big deal by the way, at least that's what I would imagine to be the case.
90% I will go with the 2006 330i since in running some probable #s for the 2007 328i/335i coupe/sedan, looks like it will come out $40-60/mo higher than the 2006 330i, just based on MF not quite as good, paying a few hundred more as markup, etc. Since I will only have this car 12-18 months (24 months at the longest if I kept it through the end of the lease) I'm not willing to pay the premium just for the coupe when I can get the coupe the next go-around with the annual ED trip.

I will mention to the dealer that I plan on making this an annual "buying experience" (to use the term they like to use :rofl: ) and also ask elsewhere in the conversation what would happen if I were to change my mind 2 weeks into the process, and still 6-8 weeks before pickup in Munich.

Thanks for the reply. I enjoyed your ED article and your posts that I have read while absorbing all the information here on the forum.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jspira said:

+1
Be honest with your dealer. Believe it or not, it is extra work for a CA to sell an ED car versus selling one off the lot.

good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts