BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The computer in my 530i started coming on and off while driving to work on Friday. It came on for about 1 minute today while driving. Does anyone know if the whole computer is a goner or could it be something smaller? HELP.

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by 'computer is coming on and off'. Are you saying that the 'Check Engine Light' is coming with an error on the display? Or, the display of iDrive doesn't turn on as it should and only turns on intermittently?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would assume he means the I-drive. If it were the actual computer, the car would have been dead in the water and he wouldn't have been driving.
For I-Drive issues, it's best to take it to BMW to get checked out. This is a problem that needs a good diagnosis and I wouldn't leave it to an Indy who doesn't have expertise in this area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Computer monitor out

It was the monitor screen called the CCC. Typically the part and labor replacement costs $1800 - $3200 to replace including the "flashing" which syncs it to the car. Apparently these go out after only 5 years if they are the original. The rumor is they are rebuilt and now are made to last a little longer. I hope so because this was quite an expense right before Christmas! It works great now!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I have already replaced the MPM twice after owing it for 2 weeks. I have also replaced the while iDrive system with in that time as well. I still don't still don't have my car because its still in the shop for other issue ELECTRICAL! SAD!

That is serious wake up call to everyone! Parts like that should not fail out so quickly. I can understand small issues fail out suck as a light, window motor, alternator or something like that. But to have a major component that controls the whole interior of that car fail out is ridiculous. For people that is in there right mind would know that not right for that to happen. For people that love and owns a bmw think its OK to dish out an average of 1800 dollars of repair bill every month for a consistent issues or maintenance that needs to be done, I would say the "H" with that. Warranty or No Warrenty, these major component issues should not fail so quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Drive issues

I agree, major components should not fail that young in the life of any vehicle. Supposedly BMW is rebuilding/replacing the broken ones with higher quality. Still the repair bills are costly for the owner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.