BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car passed original smog but failed visual. only smokes out of tail pipe in neutral after 5 minutes .. mech says valve guide seals apx 7000.00 p&l. Car has 85,000 mi is there any additives that might help pass till i get money to repair. also note i have a high vaccume when removeing oil filler cap , i also had the crank case ventilater valves checked and there ok, ?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our 7 Series forum, you'll get more help in here. There are places that will do it for cheaper.

Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
7k lol? Most Independent shops are around $2000-$2500 for the job. You might be able to get away with some different oil to cut back on the smoke in the short term. That would allow you to pass. I read somewhere someone had some success with it. I do not recall what the oil was. I am sure a Google search will yield what you are looking for though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used Lucas oil stop leak. And little to no smoke and I was putting oil in every couple hundred miles. Since I used that haven't put oil in car for 1200 miles. The dealership quoted my 7k. That's ridiculous. Indy shop should be anywhere from 2-3k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts