BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced anything close to the advertised 17/25 MPG? I've had my car for over 6000 miles now and it is getting around 15.2 mpg with 65% street and 35% freeway driving. I believe the 17 mpg is for street driving 25 for highway. One would expect the true combined mileage to be slightly above 17 mpg, wouldn't one?

·
Registered
459 Posts
My 750i just turned 1200 miles today. Mileage is below 15 mpg around town, and 19 plus highway. I have been varying rpms during the break in by using lower gears etc which may account for the lower numbers. Probably too early to tell.

My X5, 4.8 averaged about 18 mpg around town, and easy 22 plus on the road. I was hoping the seven would do as good around town, and better on the road - we will see.
vz

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am getting 12 mpg with combined 50% city and freeway during rush hour in L.A so perhaps it is all city miles. I used to get 15 MPG and for whatever reason it is lower now, I had my software upgraded and ther car is very jerky and takes a lot of gas since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
During our ED trip picking up a black on black 750i (where short people, all under 5’6), we managed to get 30 mpg traveling at speeds around 60mph. During highway runs, our beast average 24 mpg (average speed over 70mph). Then for "local" driving (A.K.A. mountain driving :p ) the car was either in "spirited driving mode (sport)”, or “foot mashed into the floorboard mode (manual),” we managed an average of 10mpg. Some may find local driving numbers to be low, but I find these numbers outstanding considering the car weighed well over 6000lbs (4 people and manyyy suitcases).

·
Registered
115 Posts
indostal said:
what's the gas tank in the 750i? I believe it's 27 gallon if you fill it up, right?
The 2006 7 series sedan has a gas tank capacity of 23.3 gallons. I get 12-13 mpg for city driving and about 21 for highway. :) But hey guys, we're talking about the flagship BMW here; the 7 series! The 7 series was designed to be the ultimate sports sedan, not the ultimate gas saver! :confused: If some folks are too concerned about gas consumption, I think they ought to look for a Prius instead!!!! :p

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beimerdude said:
:confused: If some folks are too concerned about gas consumption, I think they ought to look for a Prius instead!!!! :p
I'm not concerned about the cost of the gas. Anyone who would plunk down $90k for a car would hardly be concerned about few extra dollars of gas. I am only wondering if there is something wrong with the car if its mpg is clearly inconsistent with the manufacturer's advertised claim. But, it seems like the mpg claim is simply exaggerated by the manufacturer, which in it of itself has something principally wrong with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Holein1 said:
I am only wondering if there is something wrong with the car if its mpg is clearly inconsistent with the manufacturer's advertised claim. But, it seems like the mpg claim is simply exaggerated by the manufacturer, which in it of itself has something principally wrong with it.
All new cars put on the U.S. market are required by law to provide gas consumption for city and highway driving in miles per gallon. The standards for testing are provided by the EPA. The guidelines for fuel consumption testing today were the same ones that originated back in the 1970's when this law was enacted. Due to the aged guidelines and because the testing is done by the manufacturer for the EPA, lots of inconsistencies occur and usually the numbers don't quite add up. It should be more of an approximate figure rather than a definite set of results. EPA has announced that it is planning to overhaul its fuel consumption guidelines for car manufacturers by the end of the decade.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, I've got over 1200 miles on the car now, and the gas mileage for my last "around town tank" full was 16.5. This week end, on the road, I averaged over 26 mpg. So I guess you can say, I am getting the advertised results.
vz

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Gas Mileage (Who Cares)

Nah just kiddin' guys.

I get 21 city on average.
I get 27 Highway
750Li '06 has 20K on the odometer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts