BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story.

We have a 2006 X3 that has served us well with only minor issues for the last 9 or so years. Most of them I have done myself with little problem usually by finding a diy guide or using past experience work on other cars.

Current Issue.

I found my thrust arm bushing and I suspect the ball joints wearing out. I pulled the parts and order replacements. I referenced the part number online for my year and model and ordered it. (realoem)

My problem is the new ball joint stem is too short for the the thrust arm that is thicker than oem. It mounts up fine and I want to order the longer stem ball joint to fit it. But the people I am working with seem to be clueless and keep insisting that they go together. I even sent them pictures to show them that they do not work together. I am assuming they are just office flunkies who do not give a poo but I am still trying to track down the longer stem ball joint so I can complete the repairs.

Old Thrust arm with new ball joint - looks good!

New thrust arm with new ball joint - no workie

Anyone know the part I need to order / or know where I can find out?

Thanks a ton.

·
Anti-Hack
6,253 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply, I read your post earlier. I do not have access to a press or I would just swap the bushing out.

I read AC_2007 responses and that is my exact issue. Rockauto gave me the run around and the people I have talked to via email and phone are clueless. At this point I can return the arms but I figure a more robust arm is better and would just like a longer stem ball joint but they can not help me. (I figure its better to eat the cost of the ball joint vs the 70+ dollar arms they wont refund the full price of because they insist they should fit and I installed it already.)

I was able to remove and start the replacement of the drivers side arm before I realized it was not going to work due to size differences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything else was the same? Will certainly look into try one. Thanks I read some information that may be the case but I have not see any measurements on the parts I have looked it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am replacing both the control arm (thrust arm) and ball joints. The ones I received do not match as the photos above show the new arm is a bit thicker than the oem arm I had, while the ball joint is the same as the oem ball joint. I see the imgur links are very small, the actual picture is here and here

Unfortunately Rockauto people were less than helpful trying to talk to. I spent 2 days discussing my problem with them and the after several emails and a couple of phone calls their best effort was to return all the parts with a partial refund. All I wanted was to get the "updated" ball joint that would fit the updated arm.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered an updated ball joint from another place. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
6,253 Posts
The arms got thicker and ball joints longer with the LCI cars IIRC. All else is the same. I believe this is an issue whether you go aftermarket or OEM. The LCI cars have nothing to worry about.

AC_2007 ran into this problem, he posted in my DIY. Contact him for what he did, but I think it was just ordering the newer stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 11 of 11 Posts