BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMWNA released a dealer bulletin today clarifying some AWD 5-series features and specifications.

Here are the key points:

-The wagon will be AWD only. No RWD is planned.

-AWD will be available only on 6-cylinder cars

-Active Roll Stabilization, Active Steering, and SMG Gearbox are NOT AVAILABLE on AWD cars.

-Xenon headlights will be standard equipment on 530 models, optional on 525.

-Power Liftgate will come in the 530xit Premium Package

-Sport Package will include Shadowline Exterior Trim and Sport Seats. The standard wheel and tire package will be carried over to the Sport Package for all-weather capability. For customers that so desire, upgraded wheels with Performance tires will be a stand-alone option available on top of the Sport Package. On the 525xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 525i Sport. On the 530xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 530i Sport.

-Sport Package WILL NOT include a Sport Suspension.
 

· Go Huskies
Joined
·
227 Posts
535 D

SARAFIL said:
BMWNA released a dealer bulletin today clarifying some AWD 5-series features and specifications.

Here are the key points:

-The wagon will be AWD only. No RWD is planned.

-AWD will be available only on 6-cylinder cars

-Active Roll Stabilization, Active Steering, and SMG Gearbox are NOT AVAILABLE on AWD cars.

-Xenon headlights will be standard equipment on 530 models, optional on 525.

-Power Liftgate will come in the 530xit Premium Package

-Sport Package will include Shadowline Exterior Trim and Sport Seats. The standard wheel and tire package will be carried over to the Sport Package for all-weather capability. For customers that so desire, upgraded wheels with Performance tires will be a stand-alone option available on top of the Sport Package. On the 525xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 525i Sport. On the 530xi, the wheel/tire will be the same as the 530i Sport.

-Sport Package WILL NOT include a Sport Suspension.
Any news on the possible appearance of the 535 Diesel in USA markets?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I guess I understand that BMW needs to have a product for people who don't know how to drive and feel more secure with AWD but I have never had a problem with 4 Blizzaks on my 540i and we do get LOTS of snow here in Tahoe. The ONLY advantage I can see is when leaving "the hill" (as we say here) and there are R-2 chain controls.
R-1: Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.
R-2: Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels.
R-3: Chains required - ALL VEHICLES- no exceptions.
R-1 and R-2 are the most common chain controls. The highway will often be closed before an R-3 control is imposed.

When we are at R-3 there is NO reason to be out, even for us seasoned winter drivers. We do have an AWD vehicle in the family for such occasions to avoid the hassle of dealing with chains and also to avoid driving MY car when there are a bunch of idiots on the road that don't know how to drive in the snow. You see, we get a lot of skiers/boarders from the Bay Area in their big SUVs that think they are tanks but don't have a clue. Pretty scary.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
Thanks for the great info and the Sports Package update.

It's going to possibly snow again this Monday here in NJ and I have to say, although AWD is not invinsible in snow, it's still a better option than FWD or RWD and I am too lazy to switch out my tires and rims every winter, since NJ is either a hit or miss in the winter (either you get dumped on by snow or you don't).

Do I need Active Steering and Anti Roll Stabilization? It would be nice, but probably not.

Do I need the Sports Suspension? YES! But I can compromise and live without if needed, since BMW's handling stock is as good or better than any other brand. Maybe the ride will also be not as firm which is a plus with a baby in the back.

Do I love the fact that their is a sports package for this version and the current sports package rims and tires are still the same. YES!

Do I love the fact that with an AWD vehicle I don't have to stress out when it snows? HECK YES!

The 530xi is still more appealing to me than the Lexus GS300 AWD. I can't wait!
 

· I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bmwguynj said:
Thanks for the great info and the Sports Package update.

It's going to possibly snow again this Monday here in NJ and I have to say, although AWD is not invinsible in snow, it's still a better option than FWD or RWD and I am too lazy to switch out my tires and rims every winter, since NJ is either a hit or miss in the winter (either you get dumped on by snow or you don't).

Do I need Active Steering and Anti Roll Stabilization? It would be nice, but probably not.

Do I need the Sports Suspension? YES! But I can compromise and live without if needed, since BMW's handling stock is as good or better than any other brand. Maybe the ride will also be not as firm which is a plus with a baby in the back.

Do I love the fact that their is a sports package for this version and the current sports package rims and tires are still the same. YES!

Do I love the fact that with an AWD vehicle I don't have to stress out when it snows? HECK YES!

The 530xi is still more appealing to me than the Lexus GS300 AWD. I can't wait!
Caution: many of the benefits associated with the AWD are going to be lost if you get the wheel upgrade with Performance tires. If you don't want to change tires, I'd strongly recommend the all-season tires. Otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed.

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.
 

· Happy Trails!
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
SARAFIL said:
Caution: many of the benefits associated with the AWD are going to be lost if you get the wheel upgrade with Performance tires. If you don't want to change tires, I'd strongly recommend the all-season tires. Otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed.

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.
Great point. This is exactly what people forget all the time. AWD/4WD systems are not invincible. Unfortunately people have bought into the hype (hey I know - I had to buy one AWD car because my wife said we need it for the bad weather - the funny part is I usually just take the 5er in bad weather since it is the commuter car LOL). I'm more than happy with my RWD 5er - it is a good, predictable car in the snow (with snow tires.) I'm bummed that BMW will not be bringing any RWD Touring models in any more.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
AWD/4WD myth

I once asked an Alaskan tow truck mechanic what vehicle he pulled out of the snow ditch the most...he pointed to my rental 4 wheel drive and said those 4 wheelers. It was at that point that I GOT IT. Going back to basic 4 wheeling 101, always drive in 2wd UNTIL you get stuck...then use 4wd to get yourself out...if you drive around in 4wd all the time.....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
SARAFIL said:
Caution: many of the benefits associated with the AWD are going to be lost if you get the wheel upgrade with Performance tires. If you don't want to change tires, I'd strongly recommend the all-season tires. Otherwise, be prepared to be disappointed.

Don't believe me? Try driving an X5 4.4 with 19" wheels or even an Audi with Quattro and Sport/Performance tires in the snow. You won't be happy.
I didn't think that the Sports Package for a AWD version had the Summer / Performance Tires (they would come with ALL seasons).

I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.
 

· Happy Trails!
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
anlauf said:
I once asked an Alaskan tow truck mechanic what vehicle he pulled out of the snow ditch the most...he pointed to my rental 4 wheel drive and said those 4 wheelers.
It's no different in New England. Probably anywhere in snow country tow truck operators will say the same thing I'd wager.
bmwguynj said:
I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.
I have an 04 330xi with the sport package. It came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A run flats in 205/50R17, which TireRack lists as hi-perf all seasons. They were awful in the snow; I bought the car near the end of last winter and drove through a couple of blizzards in the snow belt of NY and in Canada the first week I had it. I bought a duplicate set of wheels used over the summer and mounted snow tires to them - the difference is night and day. My 0.02 again :) Sorry to veer a little off topic :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents worth to this thread, when talking about AWD, people seem to forget that it only helps you GET MOVING better than 2WD, but you still need to stop or turn. AWD has no effect on that, that is why winter tires are recommended.
 

· I know a thing or two...
Joined
·
7,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bmwguynj said:
I didn't think that the Sports Package for a AWD version had the Summer / Performance Tires (they would come with ALL seasons).

I don't think the current 330xi has the same Sports Package as the 330i, but it does have a sports package. To have summer tires on an AWD vehicle does not make sense.
The sport package is essentially broken down into piecesf-- the "Sport Package" for the 525xi/530xi includes part of the items (exterior trim, sport seats), while the other part comes as an additional stand alone option (sport wheels with performance tires, same as you'd get in a 535i/530i Sport Package). Order the Sport Package and the Wheel and Tire upgrade, and you have about 75% of the RWD Sport Package. You're still missing the suspension, active steering (now a totally seperate option for 2006, though), and active roll stabilization.

My comment on sport tires was in regards to a poster claiming that he was excited about getting performance tires on the 530xi. In response, I said it was a good way to end up in a ditch. The standard model will come with All-Season tires, and the default tires with the Sport Package are the same. You only get Performance tires if you buy the Sport Package AND the Wheel upgrade.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top