BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Virgin poster here. Civic owner, and have been thinking about my first BMW since we are now proud parents of twins, and need some extra space.

Looking at the used market (on Craigslist), and came across this for $17,500:

2006 BMW X5 4.4 Black On Black Super Clean, No Accident has only 53k Miles--Dealer Serviced All Records Available -- New Tires, Fully loaded with every possible option---cold weather package Navigation...Inspection good until 2017

Being a newbie, I wanted to reach out to the community to see if this looked reasonable in price. I can see that the mileage is low, but it just passed the 4 yr/50k warranty period.

Looking forward to any advice that can be shared!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Add a link, so we can view/read details, then can offer opinions.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks nice in the pictures. Very low mileage for the year. Have it independently checked (BMW dealer) to make sure all is okay before committing. Moving from a Honda to a BMW X5 is a big step and can be fraught with danger. These are expensive machines to repair/maintain compared to the likes of a Civic or Corolla.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, the mileage is def. attractive.

I did an Edmunds.com appraisal, from a private seller, for this type of mileage, I should be looking at ballpark $12,000.

You guys do have me a lil nervous jumping from a civic to an X5 - with regards to repair/maintenance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You guys do have me a lil nervous jumping from a civic to an X5 - with regards to repair/maintenance.
It's a small price to pay for something a more technologically advanced, refined, quality built and better designed than the average 'rice burner'...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, congrats on the x5. I must say i am not sure myself on these vehicles myself, I have a 06 X5, its a nice truck, but the alternator just went out, and the battery needs to be replaced, 113,400 miles. I bought mine used as well, 109,000 for 10999. kelly blue book says i paid about 1000 to much, but i do have a 75000 powertrain warranty, and can fix some stuff myself. They are awsome vehicles, however, like every car, make or modle, there are something they are known for. I am tole ours, is know for transmission re-placement around 150,000 as well as burning a little oil, I have not experienced this however.

I am not a guru, technician or a long time user of BMW. SO maybe someone can help us both by shedding some advice? I had a 325i in 2010, and just bought this gal. I do like it a lot. please let me know what you find out or experience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are those 20" rims? They look great, but the tires are expensive to replace. I just bought a 2001 X5. People recommended to me to: 1) look for one below 100K, 2) only get a 3.0L only because repairs are higher on the V8s (not problematic, just higher), and full service history. I found mine for $6000 with 97K. I would keep looking. Just my two cents.

Edit: I realize that mine has 19" wheels and those tires are about the same price. Just pointing out some things you need to consider. Good Luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
X5 purchase.

Hi if you just want transport stay with the Japo. If you want a car thats goes well, handles well and looks good, is well engineered but dont mind a bit of maintenance now and again then ok. But buy a 4.4 V8 man a real buzz to drive. :thumbup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's roughly the same as I paid for mine (same model, similar mileage), exchange rates factored in.
While it could be said, that the 3.0i is less expensive to maintain, and the motor is possibly longer lasting, there's nothing quite like a German V8 for driving pleasure. The ZF six speed transmission can be temperamental, but assuming it's not towed huge loads for extended periods, and gets serviced (disregard the 'lifetime' label IMO) then it should go the distance. Valve stem seals can be an issue with this motor (N62) according to what's been said on this and other sites, so check for puffs of smoke after an extended idle time. That said, I've also heard of this motor lasting over 200,000 miles without an issue. Consistent maintenance, using quality parts is key to ensuring the E 53 delivers reliable and relatively trouble-free service, which is true of most cars these days. It's just that some makes/models are nicer to drive, better built and much safer too, which no doubt should be a consideration when looking at any purchase.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have 216000 miles on mine (4.8) and just went through the coolant pipe leak problem, which is a known issue with the N62 engine. Had my mechanic fix it with the kit from bimmerfix and install a new water pump at the same time since it had to come off anyway, total job parts and labor came in around $800. No problems since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.