BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took to BMW and was advises of elec malfunctions with Fatigued and broken wires in tailgate. Price to repair $3900 Service bulletin SI B61 07 10

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,658 Posts
Do some searching in this forum. Very common problem amongst E61. You'll find some threads with pictures of people fixing the problems.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Took to BMW and was advises of elec malfunctions with Fatigued and broken wires in tailgate. Price to repair $3900 Service bulletin SI B61 07 10
There's also a link to the repairs in the Banglenot sticky at the top of this forum......

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
At the very top of this forum there is a sticky post by Banglenot called " So You Just Bought an E60" . It's a compendium of the most common issues you can expect to have with these cars. It also contains links to how-tos that others have posted. 162,122 views and counting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
E61 elec malfunction in wiring harness

Has anyone been able to negotiate with US BMW on this e=repair, My wife is handicapped and ths now creates personal probs. Saw repair video. Way above my abilities.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,658 Posts
do not se banglenot. Where is it located please. ?
Read the PDF found in this sticky post of the "So You Just Bought an E60" thread. This thread is the first one listed in the forum and it is sticky -- as in, it always stays on the top of the forum list:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7917511&postcount=1

Look in the document for "Tailgate Wiring Issues".

If they said you need two wiring harnesses that is believable. But, you can repair them in place, or you can use the BMW wiring harness repair kits. Have a look at Realoem.com - it has parts diagrams. Put in your VIN number and go to the category "vehicle electrical system" and look down for "REP. WIRING HARNESS, HINGE ON TRUNK LID". These part numbers can be found at popular parts sites.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,658 Posts
Has anyone been able to negotiate with US BMW on this e=repair, My wife is handicapped and ths now creates personal probs. Saw repair video. Way above my abilities.
If it is above your ability, find a reputable independent mechanic who works on BMW's. This one isn't so much in need of BMW experience, but that is a relationship that you should have with a shop. $3,900 is beyond ridiculous and they are trying to gouge and take advantage of you.

A friend of my daughter's recently asked me to help her look for a new-to-her used car because the repair shop she'd been using said she needed $1,200 in work (or was it $2,100?). I said, sure, I'll go with you, but first, what's wrong with your car? She brings it over and they wanted to replace the entire exhaust system from the manifold to the muffler, including the O2 sensors because of an exhaust leak. The problem was the pipe was broken at the flange connecting the muffler, at the rear of the car, to the main exhaust pipe. A couple hours, some hacksawing, 2 clamps and a piece of exhaust pipe from the local auto parts store and she's all fixed up - total cost of parts $15.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thcapman, before you mess with the tailgate wiring harness, make sure you don't just have old batteries in your remotes. After a while they stop charging. THings that indicate you need wiring include AM/FM not working, rear hatch not opening remotely or opening by itself, tail lights not working correctly. If those things work on your car, it is likely to just be old and dead remote batteries. Start with the simplest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts