Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys any help would be great.

I have a 2006 530xi 6 speed that I changed the fuel pump and filter in. Started the car up got about 30 miles on it the night before I went to work ran great no issues. Next morning on my way to work about 5 miles down the road the car quit. It would start for about 30 seconds then quit. Got the car towed home started it let it run in the driveway for about 5-8 mins before it quit then it wouldn't start again.

I thought maybe it was the relay so I ordered one replaced it no difference. Had my brother come over with his snap on computer no serious codes besides misfire from when it was running rough and fuel pump code. Grab a tester put it on the wires coming into the pump and they never had any power with turning the key on and off. No matter what I did tried a different key moving the key around I couldn't get any power to the fuel pump but when we fired the fuel pump with the snap on computer the fuel pump got power and fired no issues. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

Also when the key gets turned on no other ports for the relay get hot besides the one that is always hot.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,218 Posts
What is the fuel pump code present?

I'm not sure what relay you changed, but the car does not have a simple fuel pump relay. It has a fuel pump control module that controls the fuel pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must be the module that was replaced sorry, in the glove box above the fuses the green box. Was told that was a relay maybe they met it was a module?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I replaced that part and the fuel pump still won't turn on, does anyone have any other ideas on what it could be??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you sure the new pump is functioning properly? New doesn't necessarily mean operational.
Look at the Tesla Model 3 for examples. LOL, I cracked myself up.
Anyway, are you ensuring you have proper voltage on the connector(s) for the fuel pump or just swapping out parts assuming they're bad?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any power at the fuel pump with the key

the only way Ive been able to get power to the fuel pump now is with the Snap On computer when I fire it with the computer itself

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,218 Posts
I would get a BMW specific code scanner and see what it has to say. For example, maybe you have an EWS sync problem (key anti-theft stuff) and the Snapon scanner isn't able to see that code for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plugged it into a BMW scanner and nothing new on it I've reset the codes and I still can not get the fuel pump to turn on does anyone have any other options before I get it towed into a BMW shop

Thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So when I turn the key to run the fuel pump won't prime/turn on whatever you want to call it but when I turn the key to start the fuel pump turns on and gets power

·
Registered
59 Posts
From your last description it seems like the ignition switch is the culprit. I think the fuel pump should start getting power as soon as you turn the ignition "ON", before you start the engine.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
So when I turn the key to run the fuel pump won't prime/turn on whatever you want to call it but when I turn the key to start the fuel pump turns on and gets power
What prompted you to change the pump and filter to begin with? Do you still have the old pump and filter?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I would check fuel pressure at the rail while cranking and see where your sitting. If i'm not mistaken the fuel pump motor speed depends on the crankshaft position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts