BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was away for a couple weeks and my wife was driving the car, came home and parked it with the steering wheel locked up. I came home unlocked the steering and tried to start the car (it was sitting for maybe 5 days) and nothing happens. Lights and radio come on, it's definitely not a battery issue, voltage is ok. The starter clicks once or twice, or not at all. So I thought it might be a starter issue but don't want to tear everything apart and replace that if I don't have to. The car has been taking an extra second or two to start this winter.

I'm wondering if the problem could be some weird antitheft issue that needs resetting or some weird computer issue since the steering was locked.

I ran OBD and it threw two codes from the history. 281C BSD Interface: Signal and 281D BSD Generator: Signal

Does anyone have any thoughts? Traveling for Christmas in 4 days and need to get this thing started.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
Don’t say it’s not a voltage issue until you load test for voltage, especially if your ground straps are toast. All the voltage in the world won’t matter if it can’t get to the chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,517 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Is it an extra second or two to start or to crank?

Put the battery on a good 6 amp charge overnight and you might get Xmas travel done with marginal starter System

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it an extra second or two to start or to crank?

Put the battery on a good 6 amp charge overnight and you might get Xmas travel done with marginal starter System

It doesn't crank at all right now. Totally silent. It's been slow starting for the past couple months.

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
Would all the lights and electric be working if it was a ground problem?

Yes.

Starter solenoid clicking is indicative of low voltage. A starter draws a lot more than dash lights. Your battery is weak, but even if 12.7v, won’t matter if it’s not grounded. They all rot, especially up North.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
You could do a quick check for a crappy ground by connecting a battery jumper cable between a bolt on the engine and the convenient bolt on the car body (strut mount bolt, etc.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the battery is charged, and the ground straps are fine, its the starter (or connection(s) to the starter).

I had 1 totally broken ground strap at the first muffler, and 1 legitimately corroded strap by the headers. The car started a tiny bit more sluggish, but fine overall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
Got it started. The front ground strap was corroded and frayed. They didn't have the right strap at the local AutoZone so I used a 6 gauge lawn mower cable which will hopefully last
a few days. The generic strap they had was a lot smaller gauge than the one on the car.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a properly gauged braided strap so I can properly install it?

Thank everyone!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Update:
Got it started. The front ground strap was corroded and frayed. They didn't have the right strap at the local AutoZone so I used a 6 gauge lawn mower cable which will hopefully last
a few days. The generic strap they had was a lot smaller gauge than the one on the car.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a properly gauged braided strap so I can properly install it?

Thank everyone!
I got myself two of these bad boys (in varying lengths):
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...arter-battery-cable-4-gauge-0110961p.html#srp

They seem to work great.
Not sure why they'd need to be the exposed braided type cables.

·
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
1,086 Posts
Not sure why they'd need to be the exposed braided type cables.
Drag reduction for better mileage? :rofl: Seriously, as long as the cable is of sufficient gauge (diameter of the conductor) you'll be fine. The insulation will also help protect the conductor from corrosion. Put a smear of grease or Vaseline on the wire terminal(s) too before you bolt them on to the engine/body.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,517 Posts
Update:

Thank everyone!
What you have is sufficient my Friend I just changed mine this morning...if I didn't know any better I'd say the car has to get acclimated to the new ground straps. Still monitoring the cars proformance.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,920 Posts
Jesus Christ just grab a 4ga negative battery cable and run it from the head to the negative jumper terminal under the hood. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

1 - 20 of 27 Posts