BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I recently replaced the Xenon bulbs and Ballasts in my 2006 X3 after a period of time of driving without them present. After successful replacement the yellow bulb light persists in the cluster and the Xenons fail to work. Is there some sort of control module reset that needs to be done in order for the car to connect with the newly installed lights? I am told that since the ignition was engaged with the key and the car was driven without the Xenons, the vehicle will have to go to a dealership to be reprogrammed. Is this true?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I am told that since the ignition was engaged with the key and the car was driven without the Xenons, the vehicle will have to go to a dealership to be reprogrammed. Is this true?
Not sure if that is true, but I imagine it could be, as the ballasts utilize CAN-Bus to resolve flickering.

I would think that the new ballasts could get registered automatically if they were OEM replacements.
If not OEM, it might be the same situation as described in Evl's BASS Ackwards thread.

Having a HID bulb go out after only 3 years sounds unusual.
Were they the Philips bulbs?
I know why you replaced both, but wasn't the other one still working before you replaced it?

In hindsight, maybe best to do one side, confirm it works, then do other side.

Why did you feel the need to replace the ballasts?
Maybe you were putting in higher temperature bulbs?
Hopefully doesn't require a trip to the dealer, especially if that results in being told that their GT1 computer can't communicate with your OBC because of non-standard HID ballasts.

You have probably ruled out fuses (likely one for each side)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
BMW X3 Xenon Part have Three parts have Ballast Bulb and Ignitor.

And you have change the bulb and ballast ,and not work. So you need chech the Ignitor,

like this part.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts