BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone describe in detail where the crank shaft sensor is on my bmw 2006 x5 3.0i or better still does any have a diagram? I replaced fuel pump,fuel filter, getting low/no fuel presser while cranking. I have now been advised to change the crankshaft sensor. :yikes::cry::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still won't start

So history, began 2months ago with fuel pump going out.
Changed pump, then immediately after started and ran rough.
Would drive fine, but cold starts where rough and choppy.
Then died while driving on road, computer check says running bank 1&2 lean.
Changed fuel filter,crankshaft position sensor, and MAF.
Now it's still not starting? Very low pressure at fuel rail:cry:

HELP!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
You sure you connected all the fuel lines in the correct location? Knew of a X5 owner that reverse the the supply line with the return line when he went to install a new filter. Engine ran like Sh!t.

Since it started running like sh!t after the fuel pump install, I would look at the fuel lines since one is a supply and the other is a return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Up all night....you were right!!
Switched the fuel lines and it started right up :) :)
So happy now thx Broski !!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just make sure you use bmw sensors. they cost more but anything else will be a waste of your time and its no fun replacing. I tried the substitute then had to go back and put in the real deal for it to finally work. Just my experience.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just make sure you use bmw sensors. they cost more but anything else will be a waste of your time and its no fun replacing. I tried the substitute then had to go back and put in the real deal for it to finally work. Just my experience.
I disagree. Often you can find sensors and other parts manufactured by OEM manufacturers that aren't "official BMW" parts, but they're exactly the same at a substantial savings. Perfect example: BEHR manufactures BMW radiators. They're available for $215 on line. The same "official BMW part is $375 or more. EXACT SAME PART. EXACT SAME MANUFACTURER. Just remember that car manufacturers make more money from parts than they do selling cars. There's a reason for that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i agree on any other parts, but the sensors are a different deal. Just telling you from my personal experience with the crank shaft sensor on a 325i 01 I used to own.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CPS I bought is aftermarket with 1year warranty, it was a complete hassle to replace. Wish that BMW would have just out a 10mm hex on the sensor instead of a square drive. Such a pain to remove almost stripped out the bolt because of the angle. So far this 2006 X5 has new fuel pump,fuel filter,MAF,CPS, bersa valve and is ready to go. Doing the spark plugs next :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
i did snap off that bolt when trying to remove the cps. Had to drill and tap another hole to put it back. It was a ****** to change then it still didnt work with the after market sensor. Then I bit the bullet and bought the one from the dealership and it worked great. I would have paid 3x so I did not have go back after that sensor. I miss that 325i though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts