BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car came to me a mess. The woman who owned it had a husband who did not want her driving this car. So he cut every other wire in the engine bay. Mind you one week before I got the car it was running, "like shit" but running. Instead of finding and splicing a billion wires I bit the bullet and bought all new. I have not been able to get this thing started. I sent the ECU away for testing. It and the CAS comes back good. I try again to troubleshoot again without success. Finally I said to hell with it I sent it to BMW for them to start it. After about a week they call me and say it might be the timing would I like them to do it. I tell them no send it back I will do the timing here. I check the timing and only the intake vanos is off by a fraction but but the cams lined up perfect within the jig. I put everything back together and still no start. the infamous code Starter operations. I have createwd test plan and set the limits on valvetronic ect.. BMW sent it back NO START. if anyone has a clue why this car will not fire please I could really use some help.

Thank You
Shawn

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
4,304 Posts
[2008 328xi E90]... still no start. [Starter Cranks engine but engine will NOT fire?] ... if anyone has a clue why this car will not fire please I could really use some help.
I presume YOU have ISTA? Perhaps NOT used it much? Following are Suggested Steps to get started diagnosing the CAUSE of Crank, No Start, presuming THAT is your situation -- If NOT, please enlighten. ;)

1) See attached PDF: "Fault Memory & Test Plan";
2) You appear to already know how to view "Fault Memory" and save ScreenPrints, but the PDF will explain HOW to do that if NOT already fully understood;
3) Please View & SAVE ScreenPrints of Control Unit Tree (Section I); Fault Memory (Section III); AND Fault Description & Fault Details (Sections IV & V) for: ALL Faults in DME & CAS Modules.
4) You may have intended to attach the last 3 of your 17 Fault codes, but did NOT, so please just do TWO New ScreenPrints of Fault Memory;
5) Assuming Starter Cranks but engine does NOT fire, check to see that the DME is receiving Crankshaft Sensor RPM signal from Sensor. Does Tach show ~ 200 RPM during Cranking? Does ISTA or Scan Tool show that RPM more accurately, DURING CRANKING? If DME does NOT receive either Crankshaft Sensor Signal or Camshaft Sensor Signal (to determine Stroke of cylinder), it can't time Ignition OR Injector Pulse.
6) Using ISTA, RPM is DME Module > Diagnosis Scan Tab > Motor Operating Values > Engine Speed.

You can also use ISTA "Test Plan" (Directed Diagnosis) to get suggestions on what to test. A0B4 Fault Code is NOT well-defined in the literature, but generally it means the CAS is sending KL50 Start Signal to the Starter Solenoid (When START button pressed with foot on Brake/Clutch), but the DME is NOT getting an engine speed signal when the Starter SHOULD be cranking (perhaps IS Cranking, but Crankshaft Sensor Signal is NOT getting to DME).

As you MAY know already, ISTA contains Wiring Diagrams (SSP Documents) and Repair Procedures (REP Documents), and you can view those documents without being connected to vehicle. Just enter Last-7 Characters of VIN in Box that appears when "Operations" Menu button clicked, and then select "Vehicle Management" Menu button, "Repair/Maintenance" Submenu, and "Text Search" Tab; in "Search string" box, enter "valve gear". You will then see "SSP Valve gear" which is the wiring diagram (by system) that contains the Crankshaft Sensor (B6203a) wiring.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Knowing what "search words" or other techniques to use to find a particular component, connector or system takes some practice.

I would just start with those steps (1 - 6 above), and post your ScreenPrints/ Results, and we can suggest Next Steps.
George

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume YOU have ISTA? Perhaps NOT used it much? Following are Suggested Steps to get started diagnosing the CAUSE of Crank, No Start, presuming THAT is your situation -- If NOT, please enlighten. ;)

2) You appear to already know how to view "Fault Memory" and save ScreenPrints, but the PDF will explain HOW to do that if NOT already fully understood;
3) Please View & SAVE ScreenPrints of Control Unit Tree (Section I); Fault Memory (Section III); AND Fault Description & Fault Details (Sections IV & V) for: ALL Faults in DME & CAS Modules.
4) You may have intended to attach the last 3 of your 17 Fault codes, but did NOT, so please just do TWO New ScreenPrints of Fault Memory;
5) Assuming Starter Cranks but engine does NOT fire, check to see that the DME is receiving Crankshaft Sensor RPM signal from Sensor. Does Tach show ~ 200 RPM during Cranking? Does ISTA or Scan Tool show that RPM more accurately, DURING CRANKING? If DME does NOT receive either Crankshaft Sensor Signal or Camshaft Sensor Signal (to determine Stroke of cylinder), it can't time Ignition OR Injector Pulse.
6) Using ISTA, RPM is DME Module > Diagnosis Scan Tab > Motor Operating Values > Engine Speed.

You can also use ISTA "Test Plan" (Directed Diagnosis) to get suggestions on what to test. A0B4 Fault Code is NOT well-defined in the literature, but generally it means the CAS is sending KL50 Start Signal to the Starter Solenoid (When START button pressed with foot on Brake/Clutch), but the DME is NOT getting an engine speed signal when the Starter SHOULD be cranking (perhaps IS Cranking, but Crankshaft Sensor Signal is NOT getting to DME).

As you MAY know already, ISTA contains Wiring Diagrams (SSP Documents) and Repair Procedures (REP Documents), and you can view those documents without being connected to vehicle. Just enter Last-7 Characters of VIN in Box that appears when "Operations" Menu button clicked, and then select "Vehicle Management" Menu button, "Repair/Maintenance" Submenu, and "Text Search" Tab; in "Search string" box, enter "valve gear". You will then see "SSP Valve gear" which is the wiring diagram (by system) that contains the Crankshaft Sensor (B6203a) wiring.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Knowing what "search words" or other techniques to use to find a particular component, connector or system takes some practice.

I would just start with those steps (1 - 6 above), and post your ScreenPrints/ Results, and we can suggest Next Steps.
George
I am about to jump back

George
Good Evening and thank you for your help. Hered is the current Fault Memory and we are still a no start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And you are correct I have not used ISTA to the extent that I have read about. I have gotten as far as the pdf said that your sent. I do have about 200 to 300 rpm during crank so gthe signal is getting through. Both Vanos have11.2 ohms and fuctional. brand new wiring on hot side so no breakage there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an update everything kept turning me back to timing but the timing is spot on. Then after checking every part and chasing down possible shorts it just may be the valvetronic. I didn't think anything of it because that was brand new. It would try to calibrate when the ignition turned on but when I tried to have ISTA set the limits I got nothing. ISTA flagged it blue for suspect. I have another valvetronic on the way.. I hope that is the problem because I believe I have crossed off the rest. I will keep you updated. Thank you
Shawn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts