BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While opening the top of my 2007 335i, it stopped halfway through. The infamous "hardtop malfunction" message appeared on the screen; and it only let me close it back. Now, when I touch the button to open the top, the message appears and nothing happens (windows don't roll and not other sound).

This happened 30 mins after the "service engine" light came off, so may be they are related. I don't have a code reader, and will buy one tomorrow. I had seen threads where hardtops got stuck in the trunk with the same error, mine is the opposite. I cannot grease the joints, as the top is closed. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The first thing I did was replace the relays; did not solve the problem. It's either a micro-switch, hall sensor, or fuseable link, or who knows what. Getting at some of this stuff is tedious with plastic clips and tight fits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just to close this saga out, my daughter and I drove the 740 miles from Haines Ak to Anchorage in August to resolve this at BMW of Anchorage. Aside from construction delays in Yukon and the surprise frost heaves on the road, it was a fine drive. The car drove well although my front brakes were kind of rough. The dealer took the car, gave us a 2016 4 series as a complimentary loaner and set to work figuring out the top and doing the front brakes. After two days and a half days they concluded the hydraulic top motor was dead and had to be replaced. Price part about $2500 and $300 labor. However, they didn't have the part on hand. Service rep suggested I find one used and buy it. I found one on Ebay, bought it and had it shipped to my home in Juneau. ($500) We picked up the car, nicely cleaned of 750 miles of Far North bugs and dust, new and smooth front brakes and a courtesy inspection of the general condition of the vehicle. Prices for labor and parts were discounted due to their inability to fix the main problem and their understanding of the effort for me to get the car there. Anyway, two weeks later at home I installed the hydraulic motor myself in about an hour and had a working hardtop. Whew.

·
Not Inherently Unreliable
466 Posts
I actually find it fascinating that you live in Alaska and own a convertible. No doubt you're a member of a very small club!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Just to close this saga out, my daughter and I drove the 740 miles from Haines Ak to Anchorage in August to resolve this at BMW of Anchorage. Aside from construction delays in Yukon and the surprise frost heaves on the road, it was a fine drive. The car drove well although my front brakes were kind of rough. The dealer took the car, gave us a 2016 4 series as a complimentary loaner and set to work figuring out the top and doing the front brakes. After two days and a half days they concluded the hydraulic top motor was dead and had to be replaced. Price part about $2500 and $300 labor. However, they didn't have the part on hand. Service rep suggested I find one used and buy it. I found one on Ebay, bought it and had it shipped to my home in Juneau. ($500) We picked up the car, nicely cleaned of 750 miles of Far North bugs and dust, new and smooth front brakes and a courtesy inspection of the general condition of the vehicle. Prices for labor and parts were discounted due to their inability to fix the main problem and their understanding of the effort for me to get the car there. Anyway, two weeks later at home I installed the hydraulic motor myself in about an hour and had a working hardtop. Whew.
:yikes:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I actually find it fascinating that you live in Alaska and own a convertible. No doubt you're a member of a very small club!
Me too. The Alaska population of convertibles has to be just a few hundred. Must come in handy for 4th of July parades.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts