BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 335i has 38k miles. My mechanic has advised me that this model has a history of transmission problems around 45K miles that often results in a totaled transmission. He suggests a $1000 maintenance to replace the transmission filter that involves a new pan, fluid, filter and labor. Anyone else had problems and/or done the service as a preventative measure?

· Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,447 Posts
Your 335 has a 6-speed ZF transmission, as does my '09. These are well known, well respected, reliable units.

There's a lot of us with transmissions well over 45,000 miles (mine is at 76,000). I haven't heard of failures at 45k, and I'm sure there would have been many comments if there was really "a history" of problems.

That being said, I had a fluid service (+/- $400) at 60000 miles. I did not replace the +/- $300 pan/filter combination, but I thought about it and will likely do it at 100k. If it would make you feel better, I might do the fluid at 40k. I'm not sure I'd do the pan then, and being sold this service at that price with that story at 38k miles might make me shop around for a new mechanic.

FWIW,
George

· Flying monkey herder
8,298 Posts
My 2007 335i has 38k miles. My mechanic has advised me that this model has a history of transmission problems around 45K miles that often results in a totaled transmission. He suggests a $1000 maintenance to replace the transmission filter that involves a new pan, fluid, filter and labor. Anyone else had problems and/or done the service as a preventative measure?
what your mechanic really means:
"I'd like to overcharge you for 1000 for a service that is not needed so i can go on vacation this summer. let me scare you by making up a story about your car having transmission issues that will cost more than my service"

the E46 GM transmission had issues going into reverse. I have not heard of any issues with the ZF in the E90

· Registered
3,802 Posts
what your mechanic really means:
"i'd like to overcharge you for 1000 for a service that is not needed so i can go on vacation this summer. Let me scare you by making up a story about your car having transmission issues that will cost more than my service"

the e46 gm transmission had issues going into reverse. I have not heard of any issues with the zf in the e90
+1

· Registered
2,510 Posts
I'd take this as a fair warning .... find a new indy shop that you can trust.

· Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,219 Posts
BMW's new fluid service interval is 100K miles. 60K is probably early enough, and it should cost only $500.

The only known problem with the ZF transmission was the "Mechatronic Sleeve", a seal problem with the electrical connector. Those should all have been fixed under warranty/service update/TIS.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
I'm scared!

Where is this mechanic?

I'd like to lay my G upon him, blessed be his name.

Thank the cosmos, my tranny still faithfully slushes gears....for now....

Yellow Icon Emoticon Smile

· Registered
137 Posts
07 335i

yes the 07-09 335i have been known to have negative conditions. Im from Los Angeles CA and we have AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA lot of beamers here with hundreds of dozens of 335's. however the ones that were built in 07-09 tend to have turbo,transmission, and electrical problems often for some reason. I had two neighbors with them and one of them had to get the turbos replaced cuz they blew up going 75mph on the freeway. the other one couldnt change gears due to the SMG box faulting so he got his gear box replaced. so anyways thats why in 2011 they came up with new engine,intake, a whole new system under the hood. However, i got one last year in July and i had my CRC replaced which is the control unit for your navigation system. i use my navigation, bluetooth, and usb dock from engine start to engine off. So im not sure if i kind of wore it out or what but it had to be replaced because my navigation and phone sync stopped working. But mechanically................im on my second year with it and so far its the same as the day i picked it up at the dealer.

· Chicks dig Wagons!
4,881 Posts
According to Consumer Reports, with thousands of points of survey data (as opposed to a mechanic who wants to sell you something, or a neighbor's experience) the failure rate in the 335 AT is near zero.

· Registered
2,612 Posts
More likely is that he has a boat payment to make.

· Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,447 Posts
yes the 07-09 335i have been known to have negative conditions. Im from Los Angeles CA and we have AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA lot of beamers here with hundreds of dozens of 335's. however the ones that were built in 07-09 tend to have turbo,transmission, and electrical problems often for some reason. I had two neighbors with them and one of them had to get the turbos replaced cuz they blew up going 75mph on the freeway. the other one couldnt change gears due to the SMG box faulting so he got his gear box replaced. so anyways thats why in 2011 they came up with new engine,intake, a whole new system under the hood. However, i got one last year in July and i had my CRC replaced which is the control unit for your navigation system. i use my navigation, bluetooth, and usb dock from engine start to engine off. So im not sure if i kind of wore it out or what but it had to be replaced because my navigation and phone sync stopped working. But mechanically................im on my second year with it and so far its the same as the day i picked it up at the dealer.
Um, you sure we're talking 335s here? IIRC, the SMG was not an option on 07-09.

· Banned
10,511 Posts
You must mean 06-08 - things changed some in 09.

Blowing up at speed and some sort of failure are very different things. Have yet to see any blown up turbos.

A N54 with SMG. Now, that is remarkable.

· BMWCCA 149159
2,983 Posts
A transmission fluid change at 35000 miles will do no harm. There is zero need to change the filter/pan out until you are well into 100K miles.
Every 50K miles changing the fluid in the pan is sufficient to keep the transmission happy. ZF recommends 50K miles while BMW recommends 100K miles. Take your pick. I changed mine by draining the pan and refilling at 38K miles and it took me about 30 minutes and 6L of Lifeguard 6 fluid. I could detect no change in the transmission function and I sent that sample to Blackstone along with virgin LG6 for analysis.
I posted these results on this forum so you might search to see what Blackstone says.
I plan to drain the fluid and refill the pan again around 75K miles and just repeat this.
For the record I also sent Mercon SP to Blackstone to compare with LG6 and their report was the except for the color difference LG6 and Mercon SP (4.99 a quart at O'Reilly's) looked like that came from the same batch.

This ZF 6 spd is one of the most reliable transmissions out there. If your independent is so ill informed about this I would highly suggest contacting BMWCCA local chapter for their recommendation of good indy's in your area...

· Registered
5,527 Posts
:bs:

N4S

· Registered
5,527 Posts
So BMW is having to reolace all these "totaled transmissions" under warranty? If the tech was going to spew out a complete and total load of bull $hit like this, at least he could have had his bald faced lie go out past the warranty period. N4S

· Banned
10,511 Posts
So BMW is having to reolace all these "totaled transmissions" under warranty? If the tech was going to spew out a complete and total load of bull $hit like this, at least he could have had his bald faced lie go out past the warranty period. N4S
Truth is, dealers are not qualified to do transmission work. Policy: R&R; send I don't know where for repair.

You BMW mechs - where do trannys go?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.