BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a 2007 E60 550i this February with very few miles, < 6,000. The Car did not have a mark on it and of course still smelled brand new. That being said I want to keep it that way and at times it sits in the garage for weeks on end. Nevertheless when I did drive it, I could not believe just how dirty the wheels would become even after short drives in the neighborhood or driving it around the block to help dry it off after a bath. I also have an E34 in which I experienced the same issue. That particular one has very webby wheels, by that I mean many small holes in the wheel that tended to trap dirt. Nearly impossible to keep clean and very frustrating for me. So a number of years ago I replaced the Pads on the E34 with Ceramics, nothing special as I recall I purchased them at AutoZone. The results were astonishing. Granted I am picky about the appearance of my vehicles and dirty wheels are especially a concern, however the results were more than I expected. Since my E60 was even worse surrounding Brake Dust I did some research for a few weeks and decided upon the Akebono Ceramics. Incredible!! Since installation I have driven about 700 miles and have done nothing except rinse the wheels off and they have almost zero dust. With the OEM pads I would be cleaning every 50 miles. I have noticed absolutely no degradation in any braking attributes including initial bite, noise, etc. Just sharing my experience with those concerned with the appearance of their wheels or considering pad replacement. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, if you can believe it or not, they advertise "Extends Rotor Life"!!. Who knows. I have had them on my E34 for ~ 6 years and installed new tires a few months back and made note to look at the Brakes. Saw no ridges or any evidence of wear. This weekend I am doing a Brake Job on a friend of mine's 2007 X5. His Brake Sensor light went on last week on his original Pads. He went to the Dealer who indicated it was mandatory to replace the Pads and Rotors and would not service the vehicle any other way ($1,900). We pulled one of the wheels (Filthy) and saw and felt a noticable ridge surrounding the edge of the rotor. Measured with a micrometer and there is about a 4mm difference between the surface and edge, maybe that's normal. Nevertheless we are replacing the rotors as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Would love to know how you found an e60 with so few miles. I keep searching the web for a low mileage 2008 550i. I bought my 2006 550i with <14,000 miles in Dec 2008. Love the car, and have put over $6,000 in mods, but hate the Jet Black. Just spent two vacation days detailing it. It has been a great car without any issues, so I am hesitant to replace. Also, love the M-Tech kit on it.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,234 Posts
That's cool man, just a strange way to spend money - you got less dust at the expense of shortened brake disk life - ceramics will eat your disks much faster.
And disks are much more expensive than brake pads...
Actually, that's not necessarily true. I just got a price yesterday on OEM front pads that were more expensive than the rotors.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,234 Posts
Since my E60 was even worse surrounding Brake Dust I did some research for a few weeks and decided upon the Akebono Ceramics. Incredible!! Since installation I have driven about 700 miles and have done nothing except rinse the wheels off and they have almost zero dust. With the OEM pads I would be cleaning every 50 miles. I have noticed absolutely no degradation in any braking attributes including initial bite, noise, etc. Just sharing my experience with those concerned with the appearance of their wheels or considering pad replacement. ....
Thanks SO MUCH for your post. Ironically, I'm having the same issue right now where I need brakes and rotors and just yesterday, posted a question concerning this on another forum. The conclusions pretty much match your experience. I've sourced some excellent pricing on the Akebono pads and Zimmerman rotors, which I'll share with anyone who PMs me.

·
Giant Robot
608 Posts
Countycop, that 4mm ridge is where the pads have worn away the disc. The ridge is normal for a heavily worn disc. Actually I'd say that car is unsafe with such worn discs.

As for pads, oem are great for around town but dusty. Anything harder will probably not work as well unless you're on the track, where i would recommend pfc and beefed up discs.

Sent from my PG06100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Countycop, that 4mm ridge is where the pads have worn away the disc. The ridge is normal for a heavily worn disc. Actually I'd say that car is unsafe with such worn discs.

As for pads, oem are great for around town but dusty. Anything harder will probably not work as well unless you're on the track, where i would recommend pfc and beefed up discs.

Sent from my PG06100 using Bimmer App
I did find it odd that there was that much rotor wear on the originals with 58k worth of use. He is not a "Hard" driver by any means. Nevertheless we had plans on replacing all this weekend however the rotors did not make it so.... maybe next.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting, if you can believe it or not, they advertise "Extends Rotor Life"!!. Who knows. I have had them on my E34 for ~ 6 years and installed new tires a few months back and made note to look at the Brakes. Saw no ridges or any evidence of wear. This weekend I am doing a Brake Job on a friend of mine's 2007 X5. His Brake Sensor light went on last week on his original Pads. He went to the Dealer who indicated it was mandatory to replace the Pads and Rotors and would not service the vehicle any other way ($1,900). We pulled one of the wheels (Filthy) and saw and felt a noticable ridge surrounding the edge of the rotor. Measured with a micrometer and there is about a 4mm difference between the surface and edge, maybe that's normal. Nevertheless we are replacing the rotors as well.
Advertising is ... advertising. Ceramics is much harder material than regular brake pad stuff.
BTW I also heard that ceramic pads need to be brought to certain temperature to start performing otherwise on cold car they can be worse than regular pads.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,234 Posts
OEM pads cannot be more expensive than OEM rotors. You need to compare apples to apples.
You're right. I was quoted OEM pads and Zimmerman rotors.

BTW I also heard that ceramic pads need to be brought to certain temperature to start performing otherwise on cold car they can be worse than regular pads.
I believe that only applies to the break-in period. Once they are set, you're good to go. The consensus is though, that ceramics will never outperform OEM pads (except in the dustless category, which is the point of buying ceramics in the first place.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been driving Cars for > 45 years with every sort of Brakes. Also drag raced. oval etc. Turned < 10.00 in 1/4 back in 1971. Nevertheless I originally posted this thread in order to help normal drivers keep their wheels clean however it has turned out to be everything but. Not disagreeing with what anyone has posted however I will stick with my comments....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Been driving Cars for > 45 years with every sort of Brakes. Also drag raced. oval etc. Turned < 10.00 in 1/4 back in 1971. Nevertheless I originally posted this thread in order to help normal drivers keep their wheels clean however it has turned out to be everything but. Not disagreeing with what anyone has posted however I will stick with my comments....
I'm with you. I like clean wheels so use akebonos and zimmermans. Do my own work so if clean wheels means I replace the zimmermans, well, shrug. Doesn't cost much.

But debates are the heart of bimmerfest, so...

Cheers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm with you, too. Sure the OEM pads and rotors will stop better than the ceramics and StopTech rotors I have now, but I've subconsciously changed my driving habits and don't even think twice about it. Used to drive a Honda which are known to have the worst brakes in the industry, so...
I had the ceramics on the OEM rotors and they ate them up very quickly...OEM rotors are WAY too soft anyway. Since changing over to StopTechs, no problems with warping or dust. Never going back..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.