BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys..I am a new member and this is my first post and thread. I have been a fan of Bimmerfest for quite a while. We have 2007 550i and we bought it with the CPO.
So far we have been so lucky that I haven't spent any $ of any maintenance or anything since we bought my car in Feb, 2008. The car mileage was 18,000 then and we now we have 42,300 miles. The original warranty has just expires in April, 2010 but we do have CPO until 2012 or 100,000 miles. The maintenance insurance has just expired a few months ago and I am still thinking on whether I need to get it extended. My service manager said I still have time to get the extended maintenance until 2 of August, 2101. We are living overseas right now since last year and the car only been driven by our daughter once in a while because we told her she has to drive it so the car won't just siting in the car garage which can create problem. In October year she couldn't start the car (the car won't start). She called BMW. They sent someone to jump start the car and told my daughter to drive the car straight to the BMW service. So the problem was the battery due to prolong sitting in the car garage. They replaced the battery as goodwill. Now I am back in the states for a vacation, and have been driving it. First thing I notice when I first drive the car the service light was on:

1. Micro Filter which shows date of Feb, 2010
2. Brake Fuid which shows: Minus (-) 1,300 miles.

I took the car to the bmw service and ask how much does it cost to do the two I mentioned aboves and he said about $300 dollars! (120 for micro filter and 180 for brake liquid). At that time I didn't check the date on the computer. But now that I realized and I hope I am right and I am going to see him again next week to ask if these two service requirement should have been covered by the maintenance insurance a few months ago..
Am I right?

What do you guys think? I am just a lady driver but a good one although I don't have much experience of car but I have been reading from bwm forum quite a bit lately and I feel I know a little bit now..:). Your help, opinions would be appreciated!

Also should I extend the warranty on the maintenance? The car won't be driven that much and we still have 2 more year on the overseas assignment. Pressure is on because the offer will be expire a a few days..

Any idea what I should do to the car when I leave the country again?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Changing the cabin micro filter is the easiest thing ever - it will probably take you 5-10 mins to do your very first time. DO NOT pay a stealership to do this for you!!!!!

You can buy cheap micro filters here: (should be like $50 for the pair, listed as cabin pollen filter - activated charcoal)
http://www.germanfilters.com

As for clearing the date for the microfilter - do a search for "reset service indicator" to see how its done - its fairly straight forward.

As for the brake fluid change - same as above, search is your friend.

Also, one of the big-ticket maintenance items are the brakes. If those are coming up within 12k miles or so, I'd recommend the maintenance plan as it is around a $1k job for all new pads and rotors. Then again, how much do they exactly want for the maintenance plan?

Update: Youtube video showing how to replace the microfilter. You really don't need a screwdriver to pop off the thing he calls the hold down spring.

You said they were gonna charge you $120!?!?? Even if the parts were $50 for them, it amounts to $70 for about 5 mins of labor!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!!! I saw the utube video and I feel amaze..:p It seems so easy to do but I feel scare too..I guess I have to find someone or a friend to watch me do it to make sure I do it right. BTW, I have never touch any mechanical stuffs...including car machine..that would be amazing if big money saving if I can do it myself. My husband already gone abroad, so..:cry:
I have to ask him if we have the tools to do it...:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.