Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone not new on here but never been vocal as the forum usually give me the answers i need THANK YOU!!! I have been going through something odd with my 2007 BMW 525xi after being targeted by mechanics over the years because of the brand I have done my own work on all my BMWs and learned my engines very well this time i am just stumped :confused: ..........started one day tried to start was a little cold but basically crank but would not fire after letting sit for a few mins tried again and it fired up happened about 2 times then 2 weeks later one cold morning same thing again kept trying but no luck then i started smelling a burning smell and light smoke coming from the back of the engine then car stopped cranking. Did not want to mess anything else up as these cars are like that high maintenance girlfriend.... so i stopped trying car has been sitting for a week tried a few times here and there no crank and if i try too much that smell again all my lights work and not dimming radio a/c work ok just no crank i can hear what i think is the fuel pump under car but thats it anybody have any insight on this please.........thank you in advance.......and no disrespect to the people who do this for a living but anytime i take my car to the mechanic its always more than what i came there for while i respect the hustle i am on a tight budget .......... 2007 BMW 525xi 176,000 miles MAF sensor replaced Vanos Solenoids replaced recently.......

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,179 Posts
No offense but just one period in the right places makes a world of difference.
You should really start with a different mechanic, the error codes need read to see what you are dealing with.
Start your search here.
www.bimrs.org

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's true I live in bronx ny and most of these mechanics if you dont know them personally there in it for a dollar I respect that but I just need my car running my car has high mileage dont need anyone breaking anything or telling me something has to be replaced that doesn't

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,179 Posts
The link I gave you can lead you to a mechanic in your area that has been recommended by other BMW owners.
Yes, it's still a gamble but it does improve the odds.

·
Under the lift arms
12,940 Posts
Well, If you want to do it your self..

you need to have a BMW scan tool
the service manual set for your car
a fuel pressure tester
a volt meter
a known good battery (Or in your case charge the battery now)

A no start situation is pretty simple to work on

its a hell of lot easier then a intermittent no start situation

a can of starting fluid and a few sprays in the intake box,

if you get any life out of it for a few seconds your not getting fuel.. If you get no change your not getting spark..

2 very different angles of attack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll check the link out thanks I also have the majority of those tools (went to Lincoln Tech) as I said on a budget just trying to get some onsite as BMW can be specific

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts