Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently planning to upgrade the following on my 2007 bmw X3:
-Front Struts (Bilstein)
-Rear Shocks(Bilstein)
-Front Springs(Eibach Prokit)
-Rear Springs (Eibach Prokit)

I am trying to find instructions on removal of the rear coil springs. I Plan to post pics of the complete DIY for the benefit of other forum members next week.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
I am currently planning to upgrade the following on my 2007 bmw X3:
-Front Struts (Bilstein)
-Rear Shocks(Bilstein)
-Front Springs(Eibach Prokit)
-Rear Springs (Eibach Prokit)

I am trying to find instructions on removal of the rear coil springs. I Plan to post pics of the complete DIY for the benefit of other forum members next week.
How much are these parts please? Recently had my X3 aligned and they said they could not do it dead on as my left front strut was slightly bent. Off course replacement and repair from dealership was just over $1k.

I'm betting that the whole thing as your propose can be done for that amount or less.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Still waiting for the remaining parts to deliver on Monday for part numbers please refer attachments. I will post pics of the parts on Monday night. Work is keeping me busy so this will be a DIY in installments. Please note some of the parts ordered are not required to be replaced. I have 53k miles on my vehicle and dont plan to touch the suspension for another 50K after this job. My symptom is a leaking front left strut and leaking right rear shocks. The vendors that i purchased from are eshocks.com, ddmtuning.com, bavauto.com, rmeuropean.com. Thanks to Supercourse I was trying to find out how to get the rear apart to reach the shock mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The parts arrived. Assembled the front strut pending the tightnening of the strut nut. The strut shaft uses a 8mm allen which i need to accquire.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
How come you decided to opt for this setup? Your car which suspsension setting did it have, sport or normal? Did you find the ride hard? Let us know how the new suspension setup feels afterwards!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks good! This is the same setup that I put on our 2004 X3 last summer.
Still a firm ride, but much more controlled! And a lot more cost effective than replacing with original BMW replacement shocks / struts.

The biggest pain for me was removing the interior trim panels in the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks good! This is the same setup that I put on our 2004 X3 last summer.
Still a firm ride, but much more controlled! And a lot more cost effective than replacing with original BMW replacement shocks / struts.

The biggest pain for me was removing the interior trim panels in the rear cargo area.
Did this lower the truck at all on the 2004? I have a broken pig coil and I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have standard suspension. The ride was spongy and i take turns fast. The X3 was hopping on Michelin tires and activating 4X4 at my turn speeds. So i needed a firm suspension to reduce body roll, lower the vehicle as well as reduce braking distance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Assembled both set of shocks. Remember the black side is up for the washer on the upper front spring mount otherwise the strut mount will not spin freely. The final torque check of the front strut to 55lbs will occur after install.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Awesome thread. Please post up pics of the install and any issues you have. I'm interested in hearing any issues/tricks with getting the rear springs out/in, in particular.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Further progress has occured. I managed to install one front strut on the x3. Pictures to follow. Had to grind 1 18mm spanner to hold the sway bar link nut from spinning. The harbor freight grinder rocks:thumbup:

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Further progress has occured. I managed to install one front strut on the x3. Pictures to follow. Had to grind 1 18mm spanner to hold the sway bar link nut from spinning. The harbor freight grinder rocks:thumbup:
Gotta love harbor freight. To cut down on confusion my little girl cuts out things she likes and makes a collage for Xmas and Birthday.

I started doing this with Harbor Freight and my favorite Electronics Stores for my wife. Works wonders.

Got my uber radar detector and polishing tools. So Xmech for those of us that are getting lazy in our old years what do you charge for this :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Gotta love harbor freight. To cut down on confusion my little girl cuts out things she likes and makes a collage for Xmas and Birthday.

I started doing this with Harbor Freight and my favorite Electronics Stores for my wife. Works wonders.

Got my uber radar detector and polishing tools. So Xmech for those of us that are getting lazy in our old years what do you charge for this :)
Well I am not a mechanic by profession but have worked on cars for a long time. I dont know what the labor rates are in the US since I have never taken any of my cars to a mechanic.. :). The dealer however wanted 1200$ just for the front axle.. :( which felt was daylight robbery. I feel 50$ per side will be a fair price.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts