BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... So I have 2007 525i with 171,xxx with recent overheating issue. Car was passed to my oldest son after upgrading to 2013 528Xi. Same son is starting college in about a week $$$$$, needless to say I'm not planning on taking it to the shop to spend more major $$$$ if I can keep from it. Based on what I've come up with from reading all the threads I could find on Bimmerfest & elsewhere, the culprit is more than likely the water pump and/or thermostat. I've already purchased a new Pierburg pump and I think a Mahle thermostat (combo purchase $315) and plan on taking on that project in the morning.
However, this evening, I ran the bleed cycle just to check if the pump was running/pumping fluid ..... and it seemed to be operating just fine, although the cycle ran for 30 minutes +/- instead of the understood 12 minute duration. Another observation is that the heater does not seem to be blowing warm air ..... after engine warms up obviously. I haven't had any codes pulled ... have no reader. Long story short (too late :)), just looking for advice. As with all my shade tree mechanicing, I'm always second guessing. If not the therm or pump, what else could it be??

Any comments or advice appreciated! I'm crossing my fingers this takes care of it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Need to run the codes for sure!!! If water pump is running it might just be a stuck thermostat, which eventually will kick the water pump out anyway. Check the idrive climate control in regards to no warm air, if it's cranked up to the coldest level "3 blue bars" the warm air isn't gonna be all that hot. But yeah, get the codes read immediately and start from there otherwise it's a guessing game.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just because the it pumped for your bleeding test, doesn't mean it is good. When the electric coolant pump dies many times it is a slow death with intermediate work/non working periods. Better to replace pump and thermostat, in particular with your mileage. You need to look at investing in a code reader for your smart phone, something like Carly for BMW in either your android or iOS stores.

By the way, welcome to the group and good luck with your repair.

Read this PDF at the top of the page, sticky... So you just bought a e60 All sorts of good to know information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I figured that was probably the best route.
How do I go about it though. Can't drive it. Don't really want to trailer it. Don't really want to purchase a reader. Can I rent one from Autozone or Oreilly's that will work. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, for both the welcome note and the reader advice. App will probably pay for itself quick ..... considering the mileage on this one. Will need it eventually on the 2013 I'm sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts