BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

as a brand new owner of an E61, I am becoming aware of the myriad of problems with the rear hatch. However, I think I have found a new flavour:

When I bought the car a week ago, the hatchback worked fine. However, a few days ago, the hatchback refused to open. The glass would still open, so I could use that. The soft close mechanism worked, but the solenoid release seemed not to be working. However, it works if I open the glass by about 40 degrees. Am I right in thinking that sounds like a problem related to the wiring going through the hinges?

Regards
Richard
 

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
Joined
·
5,111 Posts
More than likely broken insulation in the wiring harness on the hatch. Google for that and you'll find several threads. Friend of mine had same issues on his E61.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up buying a kit from Ebay and patching the left and right sides that go to the tailgate. The repair kit used silicone cables that are much more flexible. On the right, there were 2 wires where the insulation had broken, but the wires weren't broken. On the left, there was a broken wire that was responsible for my tailgate not opening.

I patched both sides, using the great instructions form this forum somewhere. I now have a working tailgate and no error message about a reversing light that doesn't work :)

However, this is one of those jobs that is a pain in the a**, but would be done much quicker if there was ever to be a next time.

Regards
Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you search for "***8222;TOP***8220; Kabelbaum-Reparatursatz BMW 5er E61 Touring Heckklappe links & rechts" this should get you the right thing. It's from Germnay, so you can be pretty sure it's well made - well, hopefully better than the original rubbish! It certainly seems well made. The connectors that came with it were crimp connectors. I don't think that they were the solder flow type, as that had heat-shrink already on. I opted to solder the joints and use some heat-shrink I already had.

I ended up with 2 plastic plugs and a screw left over. Not unusual for my handiwork, but it all seems to work :)

Regards
Richard
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top