BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes just released its options list for the 2007 E-Class.

Finally, the car comes with Bluetooth, if you order the Premium Package I, which includes the navigation system.

Unfortunately, Xenon headlights are no longer a standalone option. If you want them, you'll need to get their Keyless Go (remote starter) as well, for an additional $2000, as part of Premium Package II. Parktronic (rear only) is $1100.

Mercedes still has the nerve to charge an extra $700 for metallic paint on a car costing north of $50K.

There won't be a Benz in my future.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
They are decent cars, but arrogantly priced.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Yes, to get xenon's you have to fork over a lot of money on a package, whereas with BMW they're standard. But....the sport package #333 is n/c no matter how the car is equipped. Moreover, their MBTex vinyl is superb. You can get an E350 with sport package that lists for $52k. A similarly equipped 530i is about $53k. There are obvious differences of course, but the Merc makes a tempting alternative. The interior is quite nice too (BMWAG: hint, hint).

ChiefBlueBimmer said:
Mercedes just released its options list for the 2007 E-Class.

Finally, the car comes with Bluetooth, if you order the Premium Package I, which includes the navigation system.

Unfortunately, Xenon headlights are no longer a standalone option. If you want them, you'll need to get their Keyless Go (remote starter) as well, for an additional $2000, as part of Premium Package II. Parktronic (rear only) is $1100.

Mercedes still has the nerve to charge an extra $700 for metallic paint on a car costing north of $50K.

There won't be a Benz in my future.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Allow me to render some perspective on price. MANY years ago, in the late '70s, a Mercedes 300D or 280E was about $31k. That was 25 years ago. In the late '80s to early '90s, the successor to those cars cost in the mid-$40k price range. BMW's 535i was about $42k, and its 160hp 525i was $37k. The Germans, who were beaten to death by the incursion of Lexus at the time were subsequently forced to roll back prices. To placate customers who had already purchased cars at the higher prices, the manufacturers gave out certificates good for signficant factory rebates on their next purchase.

$50k+ for a midsize sedan is very expensive, but at least you get a quality car that is built to last.

Merce
exmercedesowner said:
They are decent cars, but arrogantly priced.

·
I love my BMW.
757 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what is up with Mercedes and their wierd way of equipping cars. When my mother bought hers, she wanted leather seats. In order to get leather, you need to order the sunroof package and sound package which came with a CD changer. My mother doesn't own one CD and can't use a sunroof due to ear problems. Needless to say, she got her leather, but it cost her.

·
F87 on the way!
1,610 Posts
Robert A said:
Allow me to render some perspective on price. MANY years ago, in the late '70s, a Mercedes 300D or 280E was about $31k. That was 25 years ago.
Maybe my car was stripped...but I had a '77 300D (no frills) and the sticker was $18K.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
It might have been a two-door coupe that I saw, which was more expensive than a sedan. It was also closer to 1979-1980, and I have a feeling that car prices rose a significantly in the late '70s. I remember that BMW once increased the price of a 528i (circa late '70s over $4,000 from one model year to the next, and this was on a car that only cost about $16,000.

TXE39 said:
Maybe my car was stripped...but I had a '77 300D (no frills) and the sticker was $18K.

·
F87 on the way!
1,610 Posts
Robert A said:
It might have been a two-door coupe that I saw, which was more expensive than a sedan. It was also closer to 1979-1980, and I have a feeling that car prices rose a significantly in the late '70s. I remember that BMW once increased the price of a 528i (circa late '70s over $4,000 from one model year to the next, and this was on a car that only cost about $16,000.
Yep...that is believable. Well...at 15K or 30K the car was worth it...still cruisin' today...slow...but still moving :D

·
Go Gators
10,339 Posts
TXE39 said:
On a side note, the other day I saw John Lennon's 300D Wagon in mint condition in a car carrier, though it had a scratch on the right front fender which was sloppily touched up. But it was an amazing experience to touch the door handle John Lennon did. The papers on it said it sold for $16k in check alone, probably more like $30k+ in cash and check.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You know, the xenon lights are no big deal. My M3 doesn't have them, but my wifes 325i has the, they are adaptive, and honestly, there is a colour difference but other than that my standard lights do just fine. The new E is nice, good luck. But I would take the 530i over it anyday... that car is art!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow.....Compared to the '07 E-Class I would Definatley take the front. Yes, It has a nice interior, but the exterior IMO, is horrable. I hate that pointed front.... : puke: :thumbdwn: It is soooo ugly.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
jetstream23 said:
Would BMW's 550i be the direct competitor to the new E Series? I think they're both in the $55K area.
There is no such thing as BMW Competition.............BMW is the best:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts