BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a used 2007 x3 3.0si loaded with sport pckge/ navi with 58K miles. I like 2007 since they redesigned exterior and upgraded the engine. Is this year good or is it better to get a newer year. any thoughts?

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
I'm looking to buy a used 2007 x3 3.0si loaded with sport pckge/ navi with 58K miles. I like 2007 since they redesigned exterior and upgraded the engine. Is this year good or is it better to get a newer year. any thoughts?
Wow..any closer and it will bite you. Read the sticky. The 2007 AT is one of the worst years to buy an X3. There are plenty of good one's out there I know, but this year had the highest percentage of troubles in the whole E83 series. And if you get a troublesome trannie it is a nightmare.

If you have choices go for another year.

I have a 2008 MT black sapphire with 65k miles. Tobacco leather, xenon adaptive lights, very well maintained, and a number of little extras and selling for $18.5 if you hustle before its gone this Friday.

· Registered
170 Posts
My 2007 (auto trans) model year has been perfect. Zero issues. Bought it in Jan 2012 with 58k miles, now has 70k. I have thoroughly enjoyed every mile driven. It had been properly maintained by the prior owner and I have changed out most of the fluids. My advice is give the 2007 a long test drive and then determine if it's worth buying. I tested plenty of 2008s and the transmissions weren't smooth.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
I'd skip the 07s. Not everyone will have the transmission issues but enough do that it just isnt worth the risk and potential hassle.

4,286 Posts
The problem is that even an hour or two will not always show the problem. After helping over one hundred separate owners with this issue i have seen more than most dealers do. There is some specific things to look for one of them requires a cold night and cold start. Are you willing to go through all that or reduce the liability and move up a year or two.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the feedback. I actually test drove a 2008 x3 today with no options. Interior felt cheap and outside looked ugly ( i am comparing this to the 2007 i was looking to buy that had prem. package, msport package with 19 inch rims, and navi. I also drove the 2013 x328 which was amazing but also costs 49K.

4,286 Posts
thanks for the feedback. I actually test drove a 2008 x3 today with no options. Interior felt cheap and outside looked ugly ( i am comparing this to the 2007 i was looking to buy that had prem. package, msport package with 19 inch rims, and navi. I also drove the 2013 x328 which was amazing but also costs 49K.
Unless you are in a rush take your time. Don't get me wrong. I am very sad to see my 2008 go, but I can't have two cars for myself at this point. A lot of people get mad when I pick on the 2007 as they somehow take it as a personal affront to them for some reason.

I just don't want to see anyone go through what I had to deal with and then have BMWNA (even now) play dumb about it. Most of the time it's just down right annoying and in rare cases like mine it was life threatening. The quandary is that it may not rear its ugly head until say December when it's a cold rainy morning and you suddenly have to accelerate away from an oncoming vehicle or make a quick maneuver and you step on the pedal and..........nothing.

I can tell you if you drive the vehicle, slow down to about 15 mph (this puts it at about second gear where the problem occurs) then make a quick uphill right turn that if it hunts for a gear and lurches slightly that its got the problem and if you ask the SA if it has the latest TSB (and it actually does) then there is no fixing it. This however works under the premise that you have a knowledgeable and straight forward sales person that will be honest and want to build a relationship and not a quick sale.

If I was to buy a used X3 it would be a 2009 or a 2006. Or in my case just get a manual and don't worry about it at all.

· Tar Heel Faithful
14,264 Posts
Just get a F25 X3 and choose wisely on the options, it won't be $49k. Or better, get the 328i Touring/wagon.

4,286 Posts
I have been saying from almost day one it is not software alone. That is why it can be mildly annoying to deadly dangerous. Germans are known for having low tolerances for mechanical designs. Depending on how far off they are the software will help mask or adjust for it. That is why some can be fixed and others a lost cause.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
I have been saying from almost day one it is not software alone. That is why it can be mildly annoying to deadly dangerous. Germans are known for having low tolerances for mechanical designs. Depending on how far off they are the software will help mask or adjust for it. That is why some can be fixed and others a lost cause.

Dealers are notorious for BSing us when it suits them. My favorite is that's no big deal when it's on them and you need to get that fixed right now when it's on us. They are supposed to be the Mayo Clinic of maintenance and repairs. But sadly they are too often a free clinic in a 3rd world country. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.