BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone has used a motorcycle carrier with their X3. I believe the tongue weight capacity is 350lbs, so I imagine it would be a fairly small bike?

I need to tow a motorcycle fairly frequently and would love some insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll weigh in as it seems not a lot of people tend to tow anything with the X3, so first hand accounts are few and far between.

The motorcycle carrier is pretty much a no-go due to the tongue weight. You have to remember the carrier itself is going to weight quite a bit and will immediately subtract from the available tongue weight.

However, the X3 is a capable towing machine. I have towed my small pop up camper at about 1500 pounds and the car does well. I would suggest a small trailer for hauling motorcycles.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've towed things to and from phoenix (stove, furniture), as well as shorter distances with trailers loaded with firewood. It's a very capable vehicle for towing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've towed things to and from phoenix (stove, furniture), as well as shorter distances with trailers loaded with firewood. It's a very capable vehicle for towing.
One interesting thing I found when looking up towing information on the X3: it's actually rated for a higher towing capacity in Europe. In the US, the weight is dictated by the class of the hitch, but they do it differently there.

At any rate, it's perfect capable of towing, but it gets confusing when you try to set up a trailer with electric brakes. Another oddity because they aren't really a thing in Europe for other regulatory purposes, so the car was never made to work with them. There are a few threads out there detailing how to make it work if need be, but my little camper tows fine without electric brakes. I wouldn't think a small trailer for a couple of motorcycles would be an issue.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree with the previous replies regarding using a carrier versus towing. I could not recommend using a motorcycle carrier on an X3 -- even with our hitch which supports the full European tow rating.

The X3 is tongue-weight limited. And even its 350 lb max tongue-weight rating is based on the assumption that the weight is no more than 6 inches behind the bumper (as would be the case in towing). Platforms introduce a much longer moment than that, significantly reducing the allowable weight.

-Daryl

·
Redheaded Firecracker
82 Posts
Second everything said here. I have towed a city scooter in an open small trailer and it was a bear on the car. Did fine though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you please advise which motorcycle is best to take in 2021? I just want to drive around the city. I need a not very expensive motorcycle that can accelerate well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can recommend such motorcycle models as LIFAN, LF200GY-5, Bajaj Pulsar 180, INNOCENTI COPPER 125. These motorcycle models are inexpensive and very good. Do you plan to ride a bike often or only occasionally? If you do not plan to ride a motorcycle all the time, then I would not advise you to buy a motorcycle. At the moment, there are a huge number of services that allow you to rent cars and motorcycles for a certain period. You can simply rent a motorcycle through a similar service as for example riderly.com use it as much as you want and then just return it. This way you will save money and be able to ride around the city! I wish you good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts