BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else found problems like these:

- going over a rumble strip in the parking lot, suddenly emerged a loud clang from the nose of the Z4MC. Driving further the car sounded like a jet engine. A trip to the dealer revealed the engine mounts had broke off and the engine was sitting loose in the bay!

- over time, I began to hear a popping sound from the front of the car each time I either drove over a bump or made a turn in any direction. A trip to the dealer revealed that the dash had come loose and needed to be screwed down again.

- now, any time I turn the wheel half a turn left or right and go in a circle, there is a weird rubbing sound from the wheel wells. The dealer claimed they don't hear it.

- also, the engine sounds a little "fluttery" with the accelerator mildly depressed around 3000 RPM. This shas been a hard one to explain to the shop, but I hear the noise distinctly.

- this is in addition to a varety of other annoyances at less than 10k miles -- rear shocks and brakes that sqeak in cold weather, one completely dead key fob, the passenger door unlocking only intermitently with the other fob and also sometimes failing to unlock via the center console unlock button, a busted right subwoofer, a tire pressure monitor light that activtes when the tires' pressure are all correct, headlight washers that shoot over the top of the car, more that I can't even remember...

Is this normal?
:dunno:

·
S54=Living on the Edge
1,496 Posts
There have been a couple of cases of broken engine mount bolt(s) on the passenger side- I replaced mine with zinc steel ones from McMaster Carr.

The fluttery sound around 3000 rpms you hear seems like the VANOS noise and is considered normal. I notice mine go away once the engine is warm and I do some part throttle spirited runs to 3500-4000 rpms (builds up oil pressure I would think).

I have some creaks from the drivers' door panel, but other than that the car has been OK so far (10K+ miles). I have also done a few track events in it.

Can you point us to what dash bolts the dealer tightened for you?

·
Registered
370 Posts
i've read about several people having the first problem you described on here. don't remember how many but a quick search could show you some others in the same boat. haven't heard anything about the rest.

·
Z4 Mvangelist
4,254 Posts
My remote trunk release has never worked, and I've never wanted to go to the dealership to get it fixed (when purchased they said, "I guess that's the way it's supposed to be."). I have intermittently had a squeak from my DS tweeter area, but only about three times in 12k miles. My diff will make a popping noise, but I've been told that's normal. Oh, and my GPS sensor went bad. I DIY'd it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
- also, the engine sounds a little "fluttery" with the accelerator mildly depressed around 3000 RPM. This shas been a hard one to explain to the shop, but I hear the noise distinctly.

Sounds like Vanos? Mine does the same

one completely dead key fob, the passenger door unlocking only intermitently with the other fob and also sometimes failing to unlock via the center console unlock button

My passenger door lock did the same thing and finally died in the second week of ownership. Get it replaced at the dealer. The key fobs never work properly, but the trick with the trunk is to hold down the unlock in .5 second intervals and it will eventually work.

·
Fight On!
1,559 Posts
I haven't any of the problems you describe below except for the 4th one, which is considered normal.

Are you seriously in Beijing? I've been to Beijing a few times, and that's not a city in which I want my MC. I was holding onto my dear life in my taxi/limo rides :yikes:

Has anyone else found problems like these:

- going over a rumble strip in the parking lot, suddenly emerged a loud clang from the nose of the Z4MC. Driving further the car sounded like a jet engine. A trip to the dealer revealed the engine mounts had broke off and the engine was sitting loose in the bay!

- over time, I began to hear a popping sound from the front of the car each time I either drove over a bump or made a turn in any direction. A trip to the dealer revealed that the dash had come loose and needed to be screwed down again.

- now, any time I turn the wheel half a turn left or right and go in a circle, there is a weird rubbing sound from the wheel wells. The dealer claimed they don't hear it.

- this is in addition to a varety of other annoyances at less than 10k miles -- rear shocks and brakes that sqeak in cold weather, one completely dead key fob, the passenger door unlocking only intermitently with the other fob and also sometimes failing to unlock via the center console unlock button, a busted right subwoofer, a tire pressure monitor light that activtes when the tires' pressure are all correct, headlight washers that shoot over the top of the car, more that I can't even remember...

Is this normal?
:dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts