BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, So lets just start by saying its 328xi not 235xi, not sure how that happened but il go with it .

First off, i am new to having a BMW so not trying to sound like an amateur, i just need some help.

So 1) I cant check the temp because there is no temp gauge, but after driving the engine and hood is pretty hot. I can feel the heat coming off of it, not sure if this is normal?

2) There is a slight tick coming from the engine in park, once i drive it goes away, i read that this is a common problem with the e90s and i shouldn't worry about it, is this true?

3) Occasionally, not alot, i smell a engine smell coming through the fans of the car. Im not sure why, and the car doesnt run any differently. SOmetimes it happens in park as well if the fans are on, i dont know why and it is only for a short time it allways goes right away.

4) I hit a serious bump and now every bump i go over my back right sounds like there is something rattling around, it i push on my trunk on the right side and bounce my car up and down i can here it as well. My guess was my strut? Also how urgent is it that i get this fixed?

Thank you for feedback in advance.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Okay, So lets just start by saying its 328xi not 235xi, not sure how that happened but il go with it .

First off, i am new to having a BMW so not trying to sound like an amateur, i just need some help.

So 1) I cant check the temp because there is no temp gauge, but after driving the engine and hood is pretty hot. I can feel the heat coming off of it, not sure if this is normal?

2) There is a slight tick coming from the engine in park, once i drive it goes away, i read that this is a common problem with the e90s and i shouldn't worry about it, is this true?

3) Occasionally, not alot, i smell a engine smell coming through the fans of the car. Im not sure why, and the car doesnt run any differently. SOmetimes it happens in park as well if the fans are on, i dont know why and it is only for a short time it allways goes right away.

4) I hit a serious bump and now every bump i go over my back right sounds like there is something rattling around, it i push on my trunk on the right side and bounce my car up and down i can here it as well. My guess was my strut? Also how urgent is it that i get this fixed?

Thank you for feedback in advance.
I would say go to Sears and ask them to "investigate". They have master ASE techs there. A lot of people say don't go to Sears but they do know what they are doing. Have them drive around and I'm pretty sure they will know what is wrong.

As for the heat thing and ticking sound, it's normal. The 545i was insanely hot.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,,ok the hot engine is normal,,,,the ticking noise is normal for a E90 it's probably the exhaust hydraulic lifters ticking,,,,no worries unless it gets really load,,,,,ok the engine smell are you talking about a oil burning smell inside the car when the interior fans are on,,,,if you are the the valve cover gasket is leaking oil on to the exhaust system,,,,,the noise in the back must be checked out,,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician. com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW tech here,,,,ok the hot engine is normal,,,,the ticking noise is normal for a E90 it's probably the exhaust hydraulic lifters ticking,,,,no worries unless it gets really load,,,,,ok the engine smell are you talking about a oil burning smell inside the car when the interior fans are on,,,,if you are the the valve cover gasket is leaking oil on to the exhaust system,,,,,the noise in the back must be checked out,,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician. com
Okay, so that makes me feel a little better. And yeah it is a type of oily smell, i read about the valve cover gasket and that was what i was beginning to think. Do you think that that is something i need to replace ASAP? or does it have some time? I assume it is pretty expensive... and the noise in the back yeah its super loud ive been told its probably a strut i just dont have the money to get it fixed right now. THanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts