BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 3281 will not start

1693 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Leekay07
i have a 2008 328i that will not start. You can hear it trying to. the inside lights, radio all work it just will not start not even with a jump. Help!!!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
sorry yes it has gas. I hear it trying to start
Assuming you are out of warranty hopefully you have AAA?

Flat bed tow to an indy shop in Tallahassee or PC.
yes it is out of warranty. thank you for your help.
So you say you're hearing the engine turn over quickly, right? I just isn't "catching", correct?
That's right galahad05, I can hear it trying to start.
I also see a exclamation point. I was told that it might be the battery, the starter, or a relay . The guy that looked at it says that there are no error codes coming up. So even through he works on bmw's he can't tell me what's wrong. I was hoping not to have to go the dealer, but it looks like that was going to have to happen.
just because you hear the fuel pump does not mean its pumping. It primes but but might not be good enough to push the fuel.
Well it's fueling or spark then. The starter is engaging and spinning the motor, but the engine isn't firing for whatever reason.

I would say do the spark test (this is real old school) but I'm a bit concerned with these modern engines--these voltages can be way high....
Anyone have any thoughts?

The exclamation symbol should be leaving codes, I thought.
I'm not sure what's going on with that.
if it was a ignition problem then it means he needs a new ECU as I am sure the ignition module is part of the ECU on BMW's It does not use plug leads.
crank it for about 10 seconds and smell at the tail pipe. If the injectors are getting fuel from the pump, you should smell fuel.
It is, without doubt, one or more of the conditions or causes noted above, tazsdr.

Or not.

Troubleshooting through an Internet forum: A minefield of uninformed guesses, as no technical info's been communicated that might enable diagnosis.

Thus, mechanics and technicians make their living.

Take it to one familiar with BMW's.

• He will read your code.

[*]He will take informed action.

[*]He will fix your problem.

Cartoon Illustration Clip art Fictional character Tail
i have a 2008 328i that will not start. You can hear it trying to. the inside lights, radio all work it just will not start not even with a jump. Help!!!
incorrect.
each plug has its own coil.
if it was a ignition problem then it means he needs a new ECU as I am sure the ignition module is part of the ECU on BMW's It does not use plug leads.
:) i know they have coil packs but the firing order is not modulated by a central coil pack.
incorrect.
each plug has its own coil.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.