BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2008 328i Coupe new tires

2916 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bimmerzone
Do I have to replace the run flat tires with more run flats? This is what the dealership is telling me because of the sensors. $1800 tires?????
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Looks like this is the first time you're getting tires for the car. Just be aware, you have no spare tire, so run flats will be the way to go because if you get a flat in the middle of no where, you can't just change it out and drive home, will have to wait around for a flatbed tow. also since this is your first time needing tires for a 08 car, probably don't drive much, 1800 for a quality set of runflats once every 4-5 years isn't too bad for a car of this level.
Do I have to replace the run flat tires with more run flats? This is what the dealership is telling me because of the sensors. $1800 tires?????
1. The sensors work with RFTs and non RFTS.
2. Do NOT buy tires from any dealer who told you otherwise.
3. Do some research as to what tires are available for your car:

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp?source=S13674x009-branded&code=yes&keyword=tire+rack&

Tom
No, this is not the first set of tires. First time for me to buy them as the new owner.
Thanks, Tom. I have been on this exact website today.
You're welcome. There is lots of valuable info there and they will ship to a recommended installer in your area. While I don't know whether you need summer or all season, high performance or touring, RFT or non-RFT, I can recommend the Conti DWS if you opt for an all season non RFT.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I have been on this exact website today.
laxson4,
Are you returning a lease car? Do you know how to use the SEARCH function in here?
No I'm not returning a lease car, I'm buying the car & yes I do know how to use the search tool.
What did you come up with in the 'search' function with regard to your question?
No I'm not returning a lease car, I'm buying the car & yes I do know how to use the search tool.
I'm guessing if you search this site for "Run Flats" you'd find enough hits to keep you busy reading for the rest of your natural life. And you won't really learn much except that a lot of people whine a lot about a lot of things. Buy cheaper tires if (a) you don't mind being disabled by a flat tire, and (b) you don't care how the car handles or rides. If you buy cheaper tires that are non-RFT, you can hedge your bet partially with a kit that includes a can of slime and a battery powered pump. I have one of those in my car; I've been carrying it around now for four years. The last time I had a flat tire on any car was sometime in 2004, after I had driven through a construction site.
Go order some RFT's online thru Costco and have them shipped to your local warehouse. You can get some Bridgestone Potenza RFT's for less than $700. Could be an option for you.
Bend over baby @ the dealers with the RFT Don't let them touch your tires!
You do not need to replace run flats with more run flats... the TPMS sensor does what it does, measures the pressure, it will let you know if you have low pressure regardless of tire type.

I switched to non run flats, better ride, better price :)
like some have mentioned, you do want to get a spare tire...

a little bit of advertising here...lol
you can get one from us:
http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_Spare_Tire/BIM-SST-E90-KIT.html
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.