BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
i recently serviced my car with an independent mechanic and gave me an estimate of 900 to change front and back brakes. This includes labor ( 221) , parts 627.23 and taxes 52 dollars. Is this estimate reasonable? this is in the houston, TX area.

he will replace pads, rotors, and sensor.
just wanted your thoughts for those who are more experienced in cars :)

thank you!

·
Registered
380 Posts
A question only you can answer, really. An easy job if you are able to diy. OEM parts or aftermarket?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A question only you can answer, really. An easy job if you are able to diy. OEM parts or aftermarket?
i understand alot of people on this board that do their own work which is great. on the other hand, i am not familiar with working on my car nor have the equipment or time.

i'll ask if OEM or aftermarket, he didn't specify in his estimate.

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can tell you that the estimate he gave you is a good one. Go to CarId.com or TireRack.com and price the parts you need then add the labor he quoted you. You'll see it comes out about the same as the price he gave you. You can contact BMW and get the price for the OEM parts from them and find out they are far more expensive. Sounds like your mechanic charges you a very reasonable rate for a brake job as long as he does a good job.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not a bad deal for an indy shop. Had the brakes done on my 335 last summer by my trusted mechanic. Cost just over $1000.
Like you , I don't do my own work and go to my trusted mechanic who does good service on all my cars so he's worth it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
hi everyone,
i recently serviced my car with an independent mechanic and gave me an estimate of 900 to change front and back brakes. This includes labor ( 221) , parts 627.23 and taxes 52 dollars. Is this estimate reasonable? this is in the houston, TX area.

thank you!
If he uses all original BMW parts that sounds reasonable. also labor is fair - it takes 2.5 - 3 hours to do front and rear.
You can buy equivalent after market parts for ~$450
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/[email protected] & Wheel Hub&[email protected] Brake Rotor

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi everyone,

thank you!
I'd say that is fair for a shop with labor- I could save you a lot of Money on parts!

OEM Rotors, Posi Quiet Pads, Sensors, hold down bolts and fluid (full kit front and rear) on sale $395.25- Happy to quote shipping if you send me your postal code.

LINK TO KIT

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you everyone for your feed back. his rate is around 65-70 dollars which i found very reasonable.
i am double checking the parts if its OEM or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some might advertise as OEM but may be to the OE spec. You could always ask him for the brands.

The kit I provided above contains Zimmerman Rotors- These kits are on sale until Tuesday!

·
Registered
451 Posts
And will your Indy still guarantee his work if you provide your own parts?

If not, and a part fails, you could end up paying labor cost again.

My indy mechanic is happy to discuss parts options, and can usually meet or beat any parts deal I could get elsewhere. Plus, the work, including any parts failure, is guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
And will your Indy still guarantee his work if you provide your own parts?

If not, and a part fails, you could end up paying labor cost again.

My indy mechanic is happy to discuss parts options, and can usually meet or beat any parts deal I could get elsewhere. Plus, the work, including any parts failure, is guaranteed.
You can't expect indy shops to guarantee parts you bring.

If you bring your parts - they provide labor and probably guarantee labor related issues but not part. And this can be tricky at times - for example if pads don't exactly fit the caliper - it would be part issue and if shop sources them - they go back and replace for free (and they get compensated for labor) but if you bring it - you have to pay him for double installation and removal time...
So bringing your own part makes sense if parts are good known quality and indy can't get them for same price.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's very reasonable for labor.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Seems really reasonable, and brakes are too big a job for most people's first diy. If that indy does good work then stick with them.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Typically you don't need to do front and backs at the same time (I've replaced my fronts before I replaced my rears). Hard to justify any labor costs once you do your own. Just don't pay more because it's a BMW, These brakes and rotors are very simple

1 - 16 of 16 Posts