BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

So this is my very first posting on these forums after having just got my black 2008 335i 1 month ago (woot~!). You all seem like a cool bunch of people so here I am seeking your advice...

okay.. im sure alot of these issues have been already mentioned in previous posts but im a noob here so I dont kno where the search feature is and ive scanned through 20 pages of stuff without any luck

Issue 1:

My brakes are freakin stiff (liek something is under the pedal) when i push them down to start the engine. Prior to this, brakes would depress all the way down just fine when i push them for startup, now its a different story. This happens after about 3-4 hours and more of idle time. Luckily it gives me a little slack(couple millimeters) so that the engine may recognize the brake is pushed and the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, breaks return to normal and all is well. My question here I guess is if this is normal, and if its not normal is it an underlying problem to a serious issue?

Issue 2:

Startup is taking longer and longer. After pushign the (HARD) pedal down, and pushing the start button, itll crank for about 4-5 seconds or so before then engine starts. This happens at random times, defintely when the engine is cold, but also after about 2-3 hours of idle time. Again is this a serious issue?

Issue 3:

First time i've experienced this today. Since my radio was off and my windows where down, i was taking a right turn at a slow speed. It was then I noticed squeaking noises coming from my tires/brakes. It is defintely not my brake pads wearing low since the car just has barely over 1k miles. Its not a constant squeak but a squeak at intervals.

I guess Im jsut overly paranoid about my car. I mean c'mon ive had this for just a month now and Im already experiencing more problems than in my previous car which is a 2000 Honda Civic EX .. -.- har har..

Any advice or assistance from you guys would be great! Thanks in advance and please dont flame me if its been covered 100000x times already in this forum..

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
Hi guys,

So this is my very first posting on these forums after having just got my black 2008 335i 1 month ago (woot~!). You all seem like a cool bunch of people so here I am seeking your advice...

okay.. im sure alot of these issues have been already mentioned in previous posts but im a noob here so I dont kno where the search feature is and ive scanned through 20 pages of stuff without any luck

Issue 1:

My brakes are freakin stiff (liek something is under the pedal) when i push them down to start the engine. This happens after about 3-4 hours and more of idle time. Luckily it gives me a little slack(couple millimeters) so that the engine may recognize the brake is pushed and the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, breaks return to normal and all is well. My question here I guess is if this is normal, and if its not normal is it an underlying problem to a serious issue?

Issue 2:

Startup is taking longer and longer. After pushign the (HARD) pedal down, and pushing the start button, itll crank for about 4-5 seconds or so before then engine starts. This happens at random times, defintely when the engine is cold, but also after about 2-3 hours of idle time. Again is this a serious issue?

Issue 3:

First time i've experienced this today. Since my radio was off and my windows where down, i was taking a right turn at a slow speed. It was then I noticed squeaking noises coming from my tires/brakes. It is defintely not my brake pads wearing low since the car just has barely over 1k miles. Its not a constant squeak but a squeak at intervals.

I guess Im jsut overly paranoid about my car. I mean c'mon ive had this for just a month now and Im already experiencing more problems than in my previous car which is a 2000 Honda Civic EX .. -.- har har..

Any advice or assistance from you guys would be great! Thanks in advance and please dont flame me if its been covered 100000x times already in this forum..
Issue 2 should be checked out. A new car should start right up every time. Have the dealer take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Welcome to the 'fest!

I would say if you have concerns about your car, you should run it by your dealership and talk it over with your SA. Perhaps he/she can suggest some things...

Having said that, just a couple observations that may or may not be helpful:

1) Most cars use the vacuum from the engine running to "boost" the brakes - What may be happening is that your car's brake pedal feel when not running is different with the engine running. If you keep your foot on the brake, start your car, and feel a slight depression with the same pressure, that is your brake booster providing vacuum.

2) I would be tempted to say you might have a bad batch of gas, and buy an inexpensive bottle of fuel system cleaner (e.g. at your dealership - maybe $8 / bottle)

3) Squeaks are very hard to pin down. It could be as simple as a mis-aligned brake pad retaining clip, or something else entirely. I would get a competent mechanic to have a look, for sure. Another option would be simply to get the car up on the jack and spin the front wheel. DO NOT get under the car just on the jack; have a professional floor jack and place the car up on axle stands or ramps.

Good luck, 335i would be my choice but my 2003 E46 is still fun to drive and is costing me nothing. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
First, don't try to compare the reliability or consistency to a Honda, or even a Ford truck. You'll go crazy that way.

I'm on the 3rd week of my 335 and have experienced the brake pedal issue, but not the other things you mentioned. I'm not worried about it because push a power brake pedal with the engine not running will cause this in almost any car. I think it's kind of dumb that you have to do this to start the car, but somebody probably sued them because they did something stupid, and this is what their lawyers told them to do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi guys,

Issue 1:

My brakes are freakin stiff (liek something is under the pedal) when i push them down to start the engine. Prior to this, brakes would depress all the way down just fine when i push them for startup, now its a different story. This happens after about 3-4 hours and more of idle time. Luckily it gives me a little slack(couple millimeters) so that the engine may recognize the brake is pushed and the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, breaks return to normal and all is well. My question here I guess is if this is normal, and if its not normal is it an underlying problem to a serious issue?

Issue 2:

Issue 3:

Issue 1- I have the same, I think it is normal (now), however when I first experienced this myself I was kinda freaked too.

Try to raise Issues 2&3 with your dealer.

Keep us updated and congrats on you new ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
#1 - Never noticed but it makes sense without vacuum.

#2 - Some have these same symptoms when the HPFP is going bad?

#3 - Known issue that I think everyone with these cars has, no definitive fix from BMW to my knowledge yet? Some have had it resolved temporarily but it always comes back......

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Issue 1:

My brakes are freakin stiff (like something is under the pedal) when i push them down to start the engine. Prior to this, brakes would depress all the way down just fine when i push them for startup, now its a different story. This happens after about 3-4 hours and more of idle time. Luckily it gives me a little slack(couple millimeters) so that the engine may recognize the brake is pushed and the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, breaks return to normal and all is well. My question here I guess is if this is normal, and if its not normal is it an underlying problem to a serious issue?

SI B34 06 07
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) produced up to 9/07
Increased brake pedal effort prior to engine start. This situation can occur if the vehicle sits for extended periods of time. Although the brake pedal can be depressed, one may note a change in pedal feel. The vacuum check valve, fitted at the brake booster, may leak due to component tolerances within the valve assembly. REPLACING the vacuum pipe with the check valve is neccessary in order to correct the situation.

Issue 2:

What is your vehicles production date? Give me via PM the last 7 so I can do some research. My recommendation at this point, go and see your local dealer.

Issue 3:

This is an added feature of the DSC control.It's not to annoy you, so you can take that corner any way you wish to. It pulses the brakes in order to make it stable and maneuverable. Your honda would have excessive torque steer that youd end up hospital and your new car at the body shop requiring surgery.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Issue 1:

My brakes are freakin stiff (like something is under the pedal) when i push them down to start the engine. Prior to this, brakes would depress all the way down just fine when i push them for startup, now its a different story. This happens after about 3-4 hours and more of idle time. Luckily it gives me a little slack(couple millimeters) so that the engine may recognize the brake is pushed and the engine starts. As soon as the engine starts, breaks return to normal and all is well. My question here I guess is if this is normal, and if its not normal is it an underlying problem to a serious issue?

SI B34 06 07
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series) produced up to 9/07
Increased brake pedal effort prior to engine start. This situation can occur if the vehicle sits for extended periods of time. Although the brake pedal can be depressed, one may note a change in pedal feel. The vacuum check valve, fitted at the brake booster, may leak due to component tolerances within the valve assembly. REPLACING the vacuum pipe with the check valve is neccessary in order to correct the situation.
The SIB may be for production up to 9/07, but the issue is still occurring. I just had a replacement vacuum check valve and vacuum pipe installed on my 2/2008 production E93. It had the same problem of hard brake pedal. OP - take the car in to the dealer for a new vacuum check valve and vacuum pipe.

Issue 2:

What is your vehicles production date? Give me via PM the last 7 so I can do some research. My recommendation at this point, go and see your local dealer.
OP - you may have the recurring high pressure fuel pump issue. Again, this is a dealer warranty repair item.

Issue 3:

This is an added feature of the DSC control.It's not to annoy you, so you can take that corner any way you wish to. It pulses the brakes in order to make it stable and maneuverable. Your honda would have excessive torque steer that youd end up hospital and your new car at the body shop requiring surgery.
+1.

·
BMW CCA #405768
196 Posts
:yikes: My E93 started doing this on Saturday. Problem #1 with the brake pedal. It was built 2/2008. I will try to get to service this weekend.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The SIB may be for production up to 9/07, but the issue is still occurring. I just had a replacement vacuum check valve and vacuum pipe installed on my 2/2008 production E93. It had the same problem of hard brake pedal. OP - take the car in to the dealer for a new vacuum check valve and vacuum pipe.

+1
I have the same stiff brake pedal problem and brought the SIB to my dealer. But since my car was produced after 9/07 they said it couldn't be the same problem. Give me a break (no pun intended) :rofl: My previous E90 never had the brake problem. And this problem is not "normal."

·
BMW CCA #405768
196 Posts
Just got back from the dealer. They said they could not fine anything wrong.I told them I would be back, as it is not right.It has been giving me problems for a week and it did not fix itself by magic. :banghead:

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I have the same stiff brake pedal problem and brought the SIB to my dealer. But since my car was produced after 9/07 they said it couldn't be the same problem. Give me a break (no pun intended) :rofl: My previous E90 never had the brake problem. And this problem is not "normal."
A stiff brake pedal is definitely not 'normal'. There are diagnostic tests that the technician can do to confim the presence of problems with the booster control valve and/or the booster/servo itself. The tests involve application of smoke to the booster control valve & pipe and the perimeter of the booster/servo unit. If the smoke is sucked into either the booster control valve or the booster/servo, the part(s) doing the sucking are defective (regardless of the production date for the car). My car was produced after 9/07 (2/08 build date) and it had a defective booster control valve and the booster/servo unit.

If your dealer refuses to even do diagnostic testing/investigation, it would seem to be time to find another dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts