Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 335i with 105K miles, with sport package, it handles well but I have only had the car for a couple of years so I don't know how it was originally, but I assume it is time to replace the shocks. It is a daily driver and I don't want to go too rigid but any suggestions on replacement shocks, it is a 2 door coupe, mainly city driving. THX!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any idea how can one tell it's time to replace shocks? I had a mot warning on rear misting on shock absorber not sure the ride is crashy with RF tyres.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Any idea how can one tell it's time to replace shocks? I had a mot warning on rear misting on shock absorber not sure the ride is crashy with RF tyres.

Wipe the shock exterior with a clean rag. Take the car for a drive and check for oil on the surface after wards. You can also try bouncing the car by hand at each corner and observe the rebound.

RF tires give a harsh ride in comparison to non RF tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you mean rebound you mean If it continues to bounce after I push one corner down?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Somebody can correct me if my understanding is incorrect: I don't believe that bad shocks can cause a car to sag at the back. Sounds like a bad spring??? or something broken.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Somebody can correct me if my understanding is incorrect: I don't believe that bad shocks can cause a car to sag at the back. Sounds like a bad spring??? or something broken.
Could be either or both at the same time. The shocks are gas charged, so if they leak, the gas is no longer there to help the spring support the car, which would lead to a slight sag.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
Commas are your friend. There are two or more ways to interpret that last sentence without them, and the answers to each interpretation are different.

·
Brucew
120 Posts
I have a 2008 335i with 105K miles, with sport package, it handles well but I have only had the car for a couple of years so I don't know how it was originally, but I assume it is time to replace the shocks. It is a daily driver and I don't want to go too rigid but any suggestions on replacement shocks, it is a 2 door coupe, mainly city driving. THX!
When they are worn out or leaking!

·
Registered
827 Posts
A note on the sagging, I thought these cars had a lower passenger side ride height dialed in, this was to accommodate better balance when the driver was in the car.

If your shocks are so worn that the ride height has changed then it would drive like crap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts