BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this morning when getting out of the car at work that my outer halo on the passenger side is out.
The driver side both rings are well lit. Is this just the Halo bulb that needs to be replaced or something else.
Any information is appreciated (y)(y)
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle Grille
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,580 Posts
very wierd...AFAIK there is only one bulb...I replaced mine in my xenon lights recently and there is one only...perhaps something broke in the light piping...that how the light ring works

xenon or halogen lights in your car?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very wierd...AFAIK there is only one bulb...I replaced mine in my xenon lights recently and there is one only...perhaps something broke in the light piping...that how the light ring works

xenon or halogen lights in your car?
Bulbs in the car are OEM.
Iv already went ahead and bought aftermarket white halo bulbs on amazon to replace them. Never been a fan of the Yellow colored lights.
I'm just a bit confused if its a bulb issue or something else. What iv read around online is usually when the bulb is going bad the outer ring just get really dim.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,580 Posts
Bulbs in the car are OEM.
Iv already went ahead and bought aftermarket white halo bulbs on amazon to replace them. Never been a fan of the Yellow colored lights.
I'm just a bit confused if its a bulb issue or something else. What iv read around online is usually when the bulb is going bad the outer ring just get really dim.
I know the yellowish doesn't look that great. I don't know how much lurking you may have done before now, but you need to know the headlight wiring is extremely fragile inside. It is a minor pain to get the headlight out of the car, and, at least with the xenon headlight, you will need to take the headlight out of the car to chnage the bulb. Inside the headlight are a bunch of wires and some of them will need to be touched in order to get to the halo bulb. They used biodegradable insulation inside these lights and it is prone to flaking off and breaking and causing all sorts of problems. I've got two points...be careful and have some silicone on hand to coat anything that looks bad and be careful what you buy, also you don't want to have to go back in and change it out again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know the yellowish doesn't look that great. I don't know how much lurking you may have done before now, but you need to know the headlight wiring is extremely fragile inside. It is a minor pain to get the headlight out of the car, and, at least with the xenon headlight, you will need to take the headlight out of the car to chnage the bulb. Inside the headlight are a bunch of wires and some of them will need to be touched in order to get to the halo bulb. They used biodegradable insulation inside these lights and it is prone to flaking off and breaking and causing all sorts of problems. I've got two points...be careful and have some silicone on hand to coat anything that looks bad and be careful what you buy, also you don't want to have to go back in and change it out again.
I know exactly what you mean. I went ahead and took the cover on the back side of the headlight off to take a peak inside to see if there was anything I could spot. One thing i noticed for sure was the flaking on the wires.
My main concern is still is it the bulb just going bad or is it a wiring issue due to the coating on the wires flaking off. From what iv read online the outer bulb goes out ot really dim when the bulb start going bad due to lack of brightness.

The car is being dropped off at my local bmw mechanic next week for an unrelated issue. I planned on having him take a look and see if he could fix it while it's there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is an interesting problem. You have LCI headlights. In the pre-LCI headlights, there is one bulb and a fiber optic cable that feeds both halos, so it isn’t possible for only one to go out. I thought the LCI headlights used a similar setup.

When I opened mine up, the insulation on the fiber optic cables were also crispy and flaking off, and some fiber optic strands had broken. I wonder if the fiber optic cable has started to disintegrate in your headlamps. In mine, the outer halo is closer to the bulb, but I don’t know if the setup is backward in the LCI headlights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is an interesting problem. You have LCI headlights. In the pre-LCI headlights, there is one bulb and a fiber optic cable that feeds both halos, so it isn’t possible for only one to go out. I thought the LCI headlights used a similar setup.

When I opened mine up, the insulation on the fiber optic cables were also crispy and flaking off, and some fiber optic strands had broken. I wonder if the fiber optic cable has started to disintegrate in your headlamps. In mine, the outer halo is closer to the bulb, but I don’t know if the setup is backward in the LCI headlights.
My headlights have one Halo bulb if I'm not mistaken. When I took the circular bulb cover off and looked with a Flashlight it was a Brown colored bulb.
This is what the bulb looked like Amber Natural material Body jewelry Jewellery Clock
Helmet Headgear Serveware Costume hat Camera lens

When its pitch black out there is maybe 5% light shining through to the outer ring.
In a couple of hours when the sun goes completely down ill make another reply with a picture of how the headlights look in complete darkness.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Automotive lighting Hood Amber Gesture Automotive exterior

Here's the picture. Sorry for the bad photo quality. Driver side both are bright. Passenger side outer is dim. This has to be bad bulb no ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
That appears to be the same bulb that the halos in my pre-LCI headlight uses.
Since those bulbs are cheap and easy to replace, that’s probably a good first troubleshooting step. You can get LED replacements on eBay for not much money, and they are definitely an improvement over the dim, yellow incandescent bulbs you have in there now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That appears to be the same bulb that the halos in my pre-LCI headlight uses.
Since those bulbs are cheap and easy to replace, that’s probably a good first troubleshooting step. You can get LED replacements on eBay for not much money, and they are definitely an improvement over the dim, yellow incandescent bulbs you have in there now.
Just waiting for the Amazon package to arrive sometime today than ill pull the headlights off and switch the nasty yellow bulbs. Went ahead and picked up some XtraVision Ultra bulbs for my from my local Autozone as well. That way all headlights are white. Hopefully I can get the headlights on an off easily. Seems pretty straight forward from the videos iv seen and makes changing the bulbs easier. 2 T30's on top 2 8mm On the bottom and your good to pull it off. Just praying I don't brake any of the wiring in doing so, with the Wire coating already flaking and all.
Will post pictures if all goes well.

Really appreciate the help @ Everyone

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you can, I’d be curious to see what the XtraVision bulbs look like once they’re installed. I keep thinking about replacing my halogens with LEDs, but then I’d have to code out the bulb checking functionality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can, I’d be curious to see what the XtraVision bulbs look like once they’re installed. I keep thinking about replacing my halogens with LEDs, but then I’d have to code out the bulb checking functionality.
Wait so is there a possibility that the iDrive throws errors at me after changing out headlight bulbs ?
If there's any chance the car throws an OBD code at me I'm not even gunna bother changing them myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not for the halo lights; there’s no hot or cold check for those. Only for the main beam and drl/flash to pass light will give you errors, but since you’re using halogens, you’ll be fine.
So if I change my main headlight bulb from the OEM yellow to the XtraVision's it'll throw a code ?
I was going to buy the XtraVision's cause I didnt want the Inside of the Outer ring ( Main Headlight ) to be yellow with the halo ring being white.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No. The xtraVision are still halogen and will pull as much wattage as the bulb checking algorithm anticipates.
The only time you’ll run into this issue is if you install LEDs, which pull way less wattage than halogens. In that case, you either need to install a resistor, or code out the bulb checking functionality. Don’t worry, you’re fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. The xtraVision are still halogen and will pull as much wattage as the bulb checking algorithm anticipates.
The only time you’ll run into this issue is if you install LEDs, which pull way less wattage than halogens. In that case, you either need to install a resistor, or code out the bulb checking functionality. Don’t worry, you’re fine.
Ok sweet.
Once again thank you for the help 🙏
Still relatively naïve and learning when it comes to car parts specifics. Got the car maybe 2 months ago, had a beater car before. Taking this as my opportunity to get into cars the way I've always wanted to.
So the detailed responses are appreciated.

Ill post pictures of how they look when I swap out the bulbs sometime tonight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts