BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 535i is having turbo issues. Was getting the power reduced message on my dash. Went to the dealer to get it diagnosed they said it would be the turbo hose pipe but after further diagnostics they told me it was both my turbos.
I found a set of turbos from a 2011 Z4 with only 35k on them for $500. Would they fit fine on my E60 or no?
What would be my best option and an affordable price.
The dealer told me they would charge me $7,300. I said no thanks!

·
Rookiemistake
59 Posts
I did a turbo replacement on my Subaru GT. It was the second replacement. i bought a Chinese one for $250. the Previous Owner had the dealer replace @145K, and then I did it @ 190. Now at 235k My turbo diesel truck has 200k on the original.

Your turbos are only gone when they're smoking.
Turbos malfunction usually to lack of oil. They also get noisy
The screens in the banjo bolts get clogged, the oil level could be too low.
A turbo spindle can have a little play, but if the blade is making contact, it has to be replaced. Pull the intake off, stick your finger in there and see if you can wiggle the blade on the spindle.
You can dismantle a turbo and rebuild it.

When a turbo blows, shrapnel may circulate throughout the motor. Therefore, new motor.

With a high mileage turbo bimmer, I would have to sort thru the motor before I spent $1 on new turbos.

I always say to start diagnostics with Vacuum readings.

It could be easy.. or it could be a catastrophe.

don't be a fool and give the dealer your $$

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2008 535i needing new turbos

My 535i only has 70k on it, forgot to mention that.
I am considering those used turbos from the 2011 z4 because they seem like a good deal but I just might go with some brand new ones for around $700.
At start up my E60 rattles a bit and is noisy but it has been serviced and the system shows me that all is well but I still get that engine malfunction error. At the dealer the technician showed me a picture of my front turbo which was brittle and had some damage. I'm sure it needs a replacement set of turbos. Just have to choose between new ones or used ones.
Was just wondering if the ones from a Z4 would fit with no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2008 535i needing new turbos

Did vacuum diagnostics and at first it showed no leaks but there was a leak through the bypass hose which was what I had done at the dealer service center. So at this point I am sure it's the turbos. Or what other route can I take before I buy another turbo set?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts