BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2008 535i with the sports package option in late December 2007. I previously owned a 2005 525i with active steering and I thoroughly enjoyed the superior steering and handling. A few weeks after I purchased my 535i I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off center, a few degrees to the right. I didn't think much of it at the time. However, I notice it all the time now and it's driving me crazy. When I try to center the wheel while driving, the car veers toward the left. Also, there is way too much play in the steering wheel, it should be much tighter. When I take my hands off the wheel, the car will often veer to the right. My 535 does not have active steering and at first I thought I was just going to have to get used to the play in the steering wheel. However, for a car that cost me almost $60K, I believe the steering should be much tighter and the handling should be superior. Could this be an alignment problem that originated at the factory? I am an extremely careful driver and I have hit no potholes that could have caused this problem. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same type of problem and advise me how I can get this corrected. The car has 6200 miles on it now and I'm afraid my dealer will not correct this without charge if it's an alignment problem

·
Registered
260 Posts
On my current RL my wheel is off a little to the left but it's never really given me the problems you're describing. I had the regular leather wheel replaced with one with a 'wood' trim, guess they didn't do a great job installing it. But it's been almost 3 years and, knock on wood, so far no problems in that regard, just had to get used to it being off center, which wasn't that hard to do really.

284 Posts
my ex-e60 wasn't perfectly centered either just like yours even when it was brandnew. i think that's the way the wheel is supposed to be aligned--in order to compensate/offset the slight left-to-right slope that most roads/highways have for drainage purposes--in other words, if the steering were dead centered, the car would veer towards right.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you take your hands off the wheel and it goes anywhere but straight (you being on a flat road is key), you have an alignment problem.
Whether they cover it or not with 6200 miles on the car I don't know(of course they're gonna wonder why you didn't bring it back immediately), but I would get it taken care of.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,455 Posts
I purchased my 2008 535i with the sports package option in late December 2007. I previously owned a 2005 525i with active steering and I thoroughly enjoyed the superior steering and handling. A few weeks after I purchased my 535i I noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off center, a few degrees to the right. I didn't think much of it at the time. However, I notice it all the time now and it's driving me crazy. When I try to center the wheel while driving, the car veers toward the left. Also, there is way too much play in the steering wheel, it should be much tighter. When I take my hands off the wheel, the car will often veer to the right. My 535 does not have active steering and at first I thought I was just going to have to get used to the play in the steering wheel. However, for a car that cost me almost $60K, I believe the steering should be much tighter and the handling should be superior. Could this be an alignment problem that originated at the factory? I am an extremely careful driver and I have hit no potholes that could have caused this problem. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same type of problem and advise me how I can get this corrected. The car has 6200 miles on it now and I'm afraid my dealer will not correct this without charge if it's an alignment problem
Any unusual tire wear?

·
BMW Enthusiast!
305 Posts
the steering wheel could be correct with an alignment. Stay on top of them when they are doing the alignment and insist that the steering wheel end up straight. They adjust the wheel by loosening something on each of the front wheels, then retightening after wheel is straight and alignment is finished. what often happens is the stand they use, or wedge I suppose, to hold the steering wheel straight is just resting on your seat cushion and is bound to move a little. tell them you want to be in car when tightening the wheel straight!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 5 Rakete and wassy for your replies. I have checked my tires and there seems to be no unusual wear. Also, I increased the pressure on both front RFT's to 37 PSI and the veering problem seems to have gone away. The steering seems to be a little tighter as well. It may be that I do not have an alignment problem. However, the steering wheel is still off-center. I work lots of hours and have a hard time getting to the dealer where I purchased the car, they are about 30 miles away. Nevertheless, I plan to take it in next week and ask them to correct the steering wheel problem. Wish me luck!

·
Here for life!!!
567 Posts
Good luck, let us know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts