BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2008 535xi twin turbo the car has bin running great. The car was parked out side and was not started for a week the temp was -35c to -45c all week
-49fahenheat. When it warm up still -15 I tried starting the car and it would crank over and almost start 1 second sputter.

I then boosted the car and tried again also no luck.
The car has a new battery only a few months old. I have replaced the fuel pump and fuel pump module 15k ago.
Just put new spark plugs in 2k ago

The car is not showing a check engine light or anything. I am worried I might have Burnt out a module or relay bye boosting maybe?
Car has always started in all temperatures never a issue.

Any tips or advise would be great.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Could be water in the fuel system. At least you can easily determine if the problem is fuel or not - just get a can of starting fluid, and spray a few seconds into the air box, then ASAP hit the starter. If the car fires up for a few seconds, you know the problem IS fuel-related. If there's no change, then you'll need to look at other things (spark and/or compression).

Did you jump the car to the terminal under the hood, or (incorrectly) jump to the battery?

Then again, if you left ME on the curb through those temperatures, I wouldn't start either! ;-) Yikes... it was cold here in Arizona today too, though. Didn't quite hit 70°F (21°C). ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be water in the fuel system. At least you can easily determine if the problem is fuel or not - just get a can of starting fluid, and spray a few seconds into the air box, then ASAP hit the starter. If the car fires up for a few seconds, you know the problem IS fuel-related. If there's no change, then you'll need to look at other things (spark and/or compression).

Did you jump the car to the terminal under the hood, or (incorrectly) jump to the battery?

Then again, if you left ME on the curb through those temperatures, I wouldn't start either! ;-) Yikes... it was cold here in Arizona today too, though. Didn't quite hit 70°F (21°C). ;-)
thanks for your comment.
I did just try the starter fluid a few times and no difference. I boosted from the front of the car. So you think it might be electrical problem? The battery after charging it up before I left the car stayed charged for 2 days so don’t think the battery is the issue.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd say you can rule out fuel issues at least. There are a LOT of things that could cause no spark (let's assume that the compression is still OK). It's possible for electronic components (and there's a host of 'em) to be thermally affected and shut down. Crank position sensor, ECU, immobilizer, etc., etc., etc. This is one of those times when a BMW-specific code reader would be worth its weight in gold.

And I guess it goes without saying that if it's possible that the jumper cables were connected backwards for even a split second, that all bets are off, though if that happened I'd at least check every fuse as an exercise in optimism.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.