BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My first post...

I bought a used BMW 2008 535xi from private party with 57K miles and drove it for few hundred miles when I noticed (going through the past service records) that the previous owner was advised of a leaking transmission sealing sleeve about 5K miles ago that was never fixed.

I took the car to BMW of Fremont and the service adviser quoted me 991$ for the service that would include labor, new gasket, new transmission oil pan and new sealing sleeve. After some discounts, we settled for $850 for the service.

When I went there to pick up my car, the adviser had left and I paid for the service. Then I noticed that they put a new gasket but did "not" put a new transmission oil pan and used only 1/2 lt. of transmission fluid to top it off. This is obviously not what he promised to include in the service. Since he had left and today is Thanksgiving, I will talk to him tomorrow regarding this.

My questions to you guys are (sorry for the long list!):
- Is changing the transmission oil pan along with a new gasket a requirement once it is opened and removed?
- Also, because he only charged me for 1/2 lt of fluid, do you think that he used the old fluid + an extra 1/2 lt fluid? How bad is that?
- He also advised that the front differential seal is leaking. How hard is to replace it yourself? I searched for some DIYs but couldn't find any.
- He also advised that the valve cover gasket is leaking and was asking for $1400 for repairs. Few days ago, I put some oil in the engine because low engine oil warning came up and while putting the oil in, I dropped some oil outside. Do you think that this might have confused the technician with the gasket leak?
- Any other advise?

I am planning to either fight for a credit for all the things that he did not put during the service that he promised or file a credit card dispute.

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
some related info for you. My 2008 535xi has 65,000 miles and I have no leaks anywhere.

Now I have a question.... The oil filler hole is on top surrounded by a big a$s plastic engine cover. How much oil did you spill that made it look so bad a technician thinks it is a leak? :p

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
Valve cover gasket leak should be very obvious around the valve cover. Same for front diff; leak should be obvious.

About the trans connector gasket - very likely, they didn't drop the pan. When the tech opened the connector, some trans fluid must've come out, he merely replaced that fluid after replacing the connector gasket. If they didn't drop the pan, obviously, there is no need to replace the pan/pan gasket/trans fluid.

If it's my car, I would've just ordered the trans connector sleeve (on-line) and installed it myself - although there is very little room to work on it with the pan in place. That sleeve is probably around $20.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valve cover gasket leak should be very obvious around the valve cover. Same for front diff; leak should be obvious.

About the trans connector gasket - very likely, they didn't drop the pan. When the tech opened the connector, some trans fluid must've come out, he merely replaced that fluid after replacing the connector gasket. If they didn't drop the pan, obviously, there is no need to replace the pan/pan gasket/trans fluid.

If it's my car, I would've just ordered the trans connector sleeve (on-line) and installed it myself - although there is very little room to work on it with the pan in place. That sleeve is probably around $20.
Thanks for your response. I know I should have attempted this myself at home but didn't want to screw up anything on my first BMW.

About the gasket, he did put a new oil pan gasket (part# 24-11-7-571-235) that shows in the paperwork. Is this what you refer to as "connector gasket"? If this really is the transmission oil pan gasket, how is it possible to not drop the pan to replace it? And shouldn't the pan and the oil been replaced at the same time as well? I am sorry, but I am a little confused.

Regarding the differential leak and the valve gasket leak, are these an easy DIYs? Any links (tried to search but couldn't find any for my car).

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some related info for you. My 2008 535xi has 65,000 miles and I have no leaks anywhere.

Now I have a question.... The oil filler hole is on top surrounded by a big a$s plastic engine cover. How much oil did you spill that made it look so bad a technician thinks it is a leak? :p
Not too much. Just a little bit, probably around 50-60 ml (wild guess!). The oil sort of spilled around the cap opening. It is very likely that it is a real valve gasket leak. I was just wondering. I probably need to show it to someone else just to be sure. Thanks for the info!

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
I had BMW quote me $800.00 for a transmission service. Service included:

New pan ( Pan has built in filter and new gasket)
Labor
5L of new fluid

The new pan is about $250.00 at dealer price.

To me it sounds like they did the warranty approach which is change two gaskets
1. pan gasket ( $30.00)
2 . sleeve gasket ($17.00)
3. top off of fluid which has been 1/2 qrt per other posts ( $15.00)

To me this sounds like a mis-communication between the SA and the tech. I would say it sounds like they gave you about $250.00 worth of service.

Quote on valve cover gasket seems high. If you think the gasket is about $100.00 then $1300.00 would be labor. I think they could change in 4 or 5 hours. I had an Indy do my Z3 which included new gasket, new power steering hose, left ball joint and new spark plugs, plus oil and filter change for $1,085.00.

Maybe see an independant in the area for the valve cover. You can go to realoem.com and look up your parts replaced for trans service plus get pricing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your response. I definitely need to find a good mechanic. I'll probably post that in another forum.

The thing that's really bothering me right now (apart from overcharging me and not putting a new pan) is that they probably reused fluid that they drained when they replaced the gasket.

·
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere
664 Posts
Yes, you can bet the fluid was re-used and then topped off to the fill line with that 1/2 L of fluid.

I have a post on the e90 link where I am taking my 330i in next week for the gasket leak, covered under the CPO warranty. From other posts I will only expect the gaskets and fluid top-off as covered items.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.