Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Harry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I've searched You-Tube but can not locate a video to replace my cowl cover. Seems every BMW model had a different procedure. Anyone have a video or a link to one.

Thanks
Harry

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,440 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
All, I've searched You-Tube but can not locate a video to replace my cowl cover. Seems every BMW model had a different procedure. Anyone have a video or a link to one.

Thanks
Harry

getting the wiper arms is the hardest part. Make sure to note position before removing, or you will be fiddling with them to be in correct position longer than necessary. Also have a look at the condition of the plastic retainers, you may want to order those with the cowl cover if they don't come with it.

I used this puller, worked great for this job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFLBY1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
163 Posts
getting the wiper arms is the hardest part. Make sure to note position before removing, or you will be fiddling with them to be in correct position longer than necessary. Also have a look at the condition of the plastic retainers, you may want to order those with the cowl cover if they don't come with it.

I used this puller, worked great for this job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GFLBY1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My entire arm and assembly on the drivers side (right in the UK) detached and in slow motion slid up the screen and over the glass roof. Much to the amusement of my best mate.

I had to drive home lower in my seat than 50 Cent, and leaning right over into the passenger side to see. God knows what it must have looked like.

Ended up having to replace the wiper, arm, cover, mechanism and all three retaining nuts. Came in to just over £200 and was a sod to align. It’s all because they use crappy nylon bushes instead of sealed bearings. I got a local bearing manufacturer to make me some sealed weatherproof bearings to replace. No more “tick tock” wiper noise at full speed either :) Which for £6 was worth it in itself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Harry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the cowl cover. Took about 2 hours. Not that it is complex, just too long to remove the bolt and plate on the left hand wiper arm. Picture shows the part to remove and the tool to take it off with.

Attachments

·
Harry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car was originally delivered to an owner in Arizona. The sun sun dried and cracked the original cover to a point where it was no longer functional. It also looked bad as pieces were missing.

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
The weather does take a toll on a rubber & plastic parts on the windshield area. Did the new cowl come with the rubber across the bottom of the windshield?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The car was originally delivered to an owner in Arizona. The sun sun dried and cracked the original cover to a point where it was no longer functional. It also looked bad as pieces were missing.
Had the same issue with my daughter’s x3. It was mostly disintegrated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the video I referenced when I changed mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=szCaquo5oFY&feature=emb_logo

One point not covered in any info I could find, is that the front end of the 650i cowl cover is supported by micro filter housing tabs. The cover must be above the tabs for correct fit.

Suggest you mark wiper locations with a strip of tape on the windshield before removing the wipers. This will facilitate the reinstall.

·
Harry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the video I referenced when I changed mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=170&v=szCaquo5oFY&feature=emb_logo

One point not covered in any info I could find, is that the front end of the 650i cowl cover is supported by micro filter housing tabs. The cover must be above the tabs for correct fit.

Suggest you mark wiper locations with a strip of tape on the windshield before removing the wipers. This will facilitate the reinstall.
I saw that video and it helped a bit. The shop that made that video is 6 miles from my house. Unfortunately, they went out of business early 2019. They had great prices on BMW parts in their showroom,

:cry:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ya, the rubber and plastic BMW seems to use is softer and denigrates easier than Toyota. I've replaced just about every rubber piece exposed to sunlight on my E60. It sees a lot of garage time too. Its rewarding to do so, makes the car look brand new.

·
Super Moderator
8,120 Posts
My dash has a crack in it, & the passenger side airbag outline on the dash is showing. This car hardly sits outside, unless it is at the golf course. I want to change the dash out, but it is going to be a huge job. I am scared that a used dash will turn out the same way.

·
Harry
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dash has a crack in it, & the passenger side airbag outline on the dash is showing. This car hardly sits outside, unless it is at the golf course. I want to change the dash out, but it is going to be a huge job. I am scared that a used dash will turn out the same way.
The problem with the 650 dash is, it's covered in leather. The other problem is the glue BMW used to adhere the leather is inferior to the glue used in the US. My dash cover was wrinkled, shrunk and dried. I waited till I needed a new windshield, then I addressed the problem. I had the windshield removed, had an interior upholster work on the dash. He made it 90 percent better but it's not perfect but it is acceptable.

BMW wanted $8000.00 to replace the dash. Oops, too much. I spent $400. Get a windshield/windscreen cover to keep the sun out to avoid future problems.

You can replace the dash with a used one from a wreck, but it's hours and hours of work.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts