BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the water pump/thermostat of my car replaced and after this was done, the digital speedometer that shows up in the middle of the center console is not working/stuck/hovers at ~10mph (even when not moving)/inaccurate.

I don't believe this is related but the dial speedometer is accurate and has no issues so it appears to be an electrical issue where the speedometer needs to be recalibrated potentially?

Does anybody have any idea what the issue is and how to resolve it?

Thank you greatly in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*EDIT* I should also mention that the dealership (who did not do the water pump installation) put my left rear tire in the front and the left front tire in the rear when I went to determine what was causing my fuse #37 to blow. Not sure if this is related but figured I'd provide as many details as possible.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Try resetting the car by disconnecting the negative battery terminal twice with 30 sec interval.

If that doesn't help, connect INPA and start reading out the car's speed from different modules. DSC, KMB and some other units have it too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I'm not too savvy and do not have diagnostic tools myself but do you think it is an issue that can be addressed by a shop with BMW diagnostic tools? I already tried resetting the battery but that did not work unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Sorry, I'm not too savvy and do not have diagnostic tools myself but do you think it is an issue that can be addressed by a shop with BMW diagnostic tools? I already tried resetting the battery but that did not work unfortunately.
INPA is BMW diag tool, so yes. My guess is that one of the modules lost its memory so they might need NCSEXPERT (aslo BMW tool) to recode it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thank you so much. I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow but that makes me feel more at ease.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I had the water pump/thermostat of my car replaced and after this was done, the digital speedometer that shows up in the middle of the center console is not working/stuck/hovers at ~10mph (even when not moving)/inaccurate.

I don't believe this is related but the dial speedometer is accurate and has no issues so it appears to be an electrical issue where the speedometer needs to be recalibrated potentially?

Does anybody have any idea what the issue is and how to resolve it?

Thank you greatly in advance.
Did you have the car coded for the digital speedo?

Digital speedo is not a standard option on the non-M 3 series models. You need to have someone activate it via coding. Dealerships do not do this as far as I know.

Are you sure you're not looking at MPG?

Can you post a photo of the reading?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just came from the dealership and they said the same thing. The previous owner must have had this coded as I bought it preowned from the same sealer that just looked at my car. I have driven with this for 6 years and I'm used to it now, where can I get this coded to show the mph?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Look in the coding section of this website or on BMWcoding.com, regional section. Someone local can do it or remote in if you buy the cable/they rent one.

Shouldnt be more than $20 for just the digital speedo but there are lots of other options you can code (typically for a greater fee). Some even do it for free though.

The car was most likely updated after the water pump install and recoding would have deactivated that feature, as well any other feature in modules that were defaulted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts