BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm John and I've been driving a 07 Ford escape for two years now. It is reliable and cheap to care for but I feel ready for a newer car.
Im currently shopping between mercedes and BMW. I like both companies but I'm in love with the BMW handling. The mercedes in my opinion has terrible handling.
I don't mind open 1 or 2 thousand dollars 2 or 3 times a year on repairs.
I understand an oil change will run me up to $200 and I'm fine with that.
I'm currently looking at the 08 year x5 with a 3.0 engine. The mileage on them ranges from 99k to 110k and a few less then that.
My budget is 20k and i need to have a high car that's good in snow because I live in mountainous area.
I don't want a honda or nissan. I'm dead set on either a mercedes GLK or a BMW x5.

Would i be making a big mistake buying a 2008 x5?
What do you guys think?

Thank you

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Hi John

Can I say it seems odd to have a $20k budget but to not mind "1 or 2 thousand dollars 2 or 3 times a year on repairs". Or $200 for an oil change.

Anyhoo ..... (you dont need to spend that on oil changes either)

There are A LOT of threads around these issues..*****ing an earlier 07 or 08 X5; that 100k mark; etc. Do your homework. Get a PPI. Try to find someone that cared for their car. I start getting concerned with tranny at that mileage. Most cars will never have had an ATF fluid change.

Finally from an 07 to an 08 doesnt seem like a big step in the "newer car" continuum. How about a 2010 or 11?

Actually there is a spotless 2011 with 82k and will be about 24k give or take. it is a desirable diesel.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869147&highlight=fleetman

You could go into a used car lot and buy a mystery 2008, 2009 car, or hook up with a one owner cared for 2011. As I think about this, you are prolly 100 miles away, this would be a sweet deal.

·
Prof. of Pending Projects
371 Posts
20K? You can buy a 2010 or 2011 for that... why go with a 2008??

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 2008 X5 3.0si and, as it turns out, we both live in NJ. It's got about 75,000 miles on it and I've owned it for 3 years/45,000 miles of driving.

My opinions:

If I'd done more due diligence, I might have spent a bit more for a 2011 model with the increased HP (260hp to 300hp). But that was only a year old at the time I purchased in 2012, so it wouldn't have been too cheap. On the other hand, my fuel economy is not so bad with the 3.0 liter/260hp base model. I usually get about 24mpg on the NJ Turnpike. Since 2011 is now 4 years past, you might find some good deals of models that have come out of warranty (since, by looking at an 08, that's already a given)

The iDrive system in the 2008 model uses the older CCC (Car Communication Computer), whereas the model year 2010 and beyond use the current CIC (Car Information Computer) system. The interface is much better/faster and the options and features are better. I'm a bit of a techie so that alone might force me into the later model.

For these 3 years it's been great except the electric water pump that failed around 50,000 miles. That was about an $800 repair, and it's one of those things that you can't sit on unless you plan on not needing to drive. It's apparently not uncommon with this model.

I've done some of the other maintenance myself with the help of DIY's and advice here. An oil change will cost you more like $100 at any number of franchised auto places (call ahead to make sure they have the right synthetic and quote you a price accordingly). Even my local BMW stealership is competing with the local shops and charges about that much as a flat fee service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sorry I was only searching on craigslist from my phone because I was at work but now that I've searched other websites I realized i could afford a 2010. My only concerns are that I buy one and then some crazy repair comes up like at around $5,000. I don't mind spendind 1k or at most 2k on a repair, but anything at 5k for a repair is out of my budget. I'm looking for a long lasting car. My mom has a Mercedes G Wagon she's had for 4 years now and we have had no repairs at all for a 120k car I figured it must be because of the german engineering quality.
I'm interested in the X5 because it has lots of space for me to keep my tools in the back and it can easily go over the large hill I live on when we get snow storms. I am also in love with the interior, it makes me feel like a pilot as soon as I sit behind the steering wheel with all the technology sitting in front of me LOL. It's nothing compared to the technology I've seen in Mercedes vehicles. 'm looking for a car that won't have me in and out of a repair shop. If I have spend 1 or 2k here and there on repairs then I don't mind. And oil changes at $100 I don't have an issue with either.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
You arent a buyer yet.

Dont take it personally, but you need a lot more work before you are ready. You are asking unanswerable questions...just not focussed, all over the place with wants, needs, etc.

Enjoy the journey

PS your mom got 120k. You can go to MBWorld and find 20 owners complaining bitterly of their money pit MBs. Has LITTLE to do with german engineering, it has to do with luck of the draw. Understand that and some of the silly questions that reflect your internal fears are placed in perspective. Nobody can tell you which car will not have a 5000 expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You arent a buyer yet.

Dont take it personally, but you need a lot more work before you are ready. You are asking unanswerable questions...just not focussed, all over the place with wants, needs, etc.

Enjoy the journey

PS your mom got 120k. You can go to MBWorld and find 20 owners complaining bitterly of their money pit MBs. Has LITTLE to do with german engineering, it has to do with luck of the draw. Understand that and some of the silly questions that reflect your internal fears are placed in perspective. Nobody can tell you which car will not have a 5000 expense.
No you are right, I'm all over the place. I have no clue what I want to buy yet but I definitely want a newer SUV.

·
Registered
574 Posts
FWIW, after owning quite a few BMWs, I'd honestly plan on getting one with lower miles, get an aftermarket warranty that's good (the Route 66 one seems solid from most reviews), and ride it out while it's in warranty up to 100k miles. If you are in warranty for at least 2-3 years leading up to 100k miles, the odds of you recouping the warranty cost are pretty high on a modern BMW. It's not guaranteed, but if you're prepared to spend $1-2k/yr on fixes, why not budget $2.5-3k for a warranty and then pour the remainder into getting a vehicle with lower miles that give you more time in an exclusionary aftermarket warranty?

At the very least you then have a fairly known quantity as far as your operating costs, and can figure out how long you'll be in warranty given your driving habits.

Don't get me wrong either, I can spin a wrench no problem (rebuilt multiple engines, differentials, done all sorts of fabrication on cars etc.), but I don't want to really be bothered with the daily driver. I owned an E39 540i M-Sport for a year and the thing was a freakin' nightmare. I had MANY weekends of furious wrenching to get to work on Monday. That car had around 100k when I picked it up, so you could blow past $1-2k with a modern BMW in no time (like 1 trip to an independent shop).

Just a bit of advice, from someone who's also in the market...

·
Registered
12 Posts
BMW or Mercedes. They simply aren't equal.

Here's the thing... I've been wanting an X5 for over ten years. Could NOT afford a newer one and wanted certain options. NOTE: Stick to the serious options that you can't live without. So, I just bought a 2008 with 145,000 miles and get this: it runs like new.

My sister has a 2005 745 that also looks and drives like a new car. In fact, most guys who see it want to buy it from her. That car just turned over 170,000 and its gorgeous.

I have to tell you...its hard for me to believe you can't decide between Mercedes and BMW. In my mind, they are cars that live in different worlds.

Mercedes is all about the name.
BMW is all about performance.

Decide what you want and get that. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I will go with BMW if you like performance and handling, I had a ML63 AMG before with 503hp, lots power but handling sucks in my opinion compare to Bimmer. Sold it and got back to a X5.

·
Prof. of Pending Projects
371 Posts
I have driven both Mercedes and BMW... to me, BMW has the perfect balance in handling and performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got 4.8l 08 with 82k miles over a year ago. water pump replaced and rear air suspention bag got a leak.
no warranty. warranty is insurance, you either prepay or post pay your repairs. i rather post pay.

i love the engine, i cannot imagine buying a 3 liter or diesel. i have tried them all before buying. v8 is worth the joy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i got 4.8l 08 with 82k miles over a year ago. water pump replaced and rear air suspention bag got a leak.
no warranty. warranty is insurance, you either prepay or post pay your repairs. i rather post pay.

i love the engine, i cannot imagine buying a 3 liter or diesel. i have tried them all before buying. v8 is worth the joy.
Yep, exactly right. Warranty is insurance. Some win, some lose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.