BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a fluid leak in the garage and decided to take my 2008 335CIC into service to find the problem. Just found out I have an $1800 repair bill to replace the transmission pan and gasket because of a stress crack (confirmed by mechanic it was not impact related) at a bolt location. Just my luck my car is at 60K and out of warranty.
- Anyone have this same problem?
- If so, any idea of the root cause?
- Any suggested course of action with BMW?

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
Yes get your car back and take it to an independent BMW mechanic and get the pan replaced by them if you can't do it and save oh about 1400 bucks. A pan is around 200-260 depending where you get it (I am assuming the ZF 6hp19 transmission automatic).
Capturing the Lifeguard 6 fluid and refilling it with replacement fluid sourced from Bav Auto who now stocks it or this site.
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=product&id=10&parent=0
and here is the pan too
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=10&pg=1

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I recently noticed a fluid leak in the garage and decided to take my 2008 335CIC into service to find the problem. Just found out I have an $1800 repair bill to replace the transmission pan and gasket because of a stress crack (confirmed by mechanic it was not impact related) at a bolt location. Just my luck my car is at 60K and out of warranty.
- Anyone have this same problem?
- If so, any idea of the root cause?
- Any suggested course of action with BMW?
How many cars have you bought from your dealer? No harm in begging for a reduced cost warranty repair with your BMW dealer (after showing polite, but firm indignation) or with BMW NA. All they can say is, no. After that, get a reliable indie quote. I've checked the NHTSA database for such failures, but found none. Most indies dont pay $100/hr to their staff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Repair made at reduced price

Thanks for the advice. guys I made a stink with the service manager and contacted BMW USA Customer Service and filed a complaint. Magically the price went from $1800 est. to $950. I needed the car for a 500 mile trip next week so no shopping around.

I asked then to save the pan and to talk with a tech. I was surprised to find this repair was quite common - stress fractures at the bolt holes - and the techs were used to troubleshooting the problem. The pan was stocked and the repair took 4 hours to complete.

The crack was very small - almost undetectable. Looks like the part is Delrin or an equivalent high performance plastic. This means the leak will appear to be intermittent - long trips (>50 miles) result in heat and the leak becoming noticable. Short trips, no apparent problem.

Between tire flats and bulges, the HP Fuel Pump and Fuel injectors - I have had more service on this car than any of my previous 4 330CICs combined!

But... still love the car.

·
dallas70
64 Posts
Wow, even $950 sounds ridiculous considering the cost of the parts involved (one of the site sponsors sells a kit w/ pan, filter, fluid for ~$300). Mine started leaking a few months ago as well (~ drop a day) and after looking here and at the repair manual I've decided I'll just do it myself. Didn't bother to ask my dealer what they would charge; they've been great through the warranty period but when that ran out 5 months ago and I was quoted $150 just to change the oil I decided I'll maintain what I can and take it to an indy for what I can't.

·
BMWCCA 149159
2,876 Posts
If the cracks are consistently at the bolt holes that would indication material not suitable for the transmission or possible over torque at ZF when they are build. Torque values on this pan are very low something like 5-8 ft pounds from memory since my manual is in the car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.