BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car delivered and didnt drive it, took it right to the shop here in the Bay Area ( Silicon Valley Bimmer in Santa Clara)
Good thing...the bearings look warped..of course, Im not expert but based on what I was seeing..it wasnt too good look

Attachments

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
A known issue for the S54 motor. If you know him, get in touch with Randy Forbes in Florida, he as bearings that he has made up to fix the problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Got the car delivered and didnt drive it, took it right to the shop here in the Bay Area ( Silicon Valley Bimmer in Santa Clara)
Good thing...the bearings look warped..of course, Im not expert but based on what I was seeing..it wasnt too good look
There's no pits on them. So, all is well. A metal fleck shaking loose and grinding against the rest of the bearing and the crankshaft on it's way back to the oil pan is where the trouble really starts.

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,576 Posts
Sometimes it's fun to show all the non-M E90-ers how much fun they're missing... like $2000 rod bearings as scheduled maintenance.
Seriously? At the altitude I live at, 6000 or more, while loosing about 3% power per 1000 ft, that would put your M3 at around 340hp with the already paltry 295lb/ft of torque. A simple tune on my car has my car at 382hp and 414 lb/ft of torque at the wheels. I'd take my car any day.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,622 Posts
Seriously? At the altitude I live at, 6000 or more, while loosing about 3% power per 1000 ft, that would put your M3 at around 340hp with the already paltry 295lb/ft of torque. A simple tune on my car has my car at 382hp and 414 lb/ft of torque at the wheels. I'd take my car any day.
I think your sarcasm detector needs to be recalibrated for high-altitude operation. ;)

A known issue for the S54 motor. If you know him, get in touch with Randy Forbes in Florida, he as bearings that he has made up to fix the problem.
2008 M3 = E90 platform not E46 = S65 engine not S54.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Sometimes it's fun to show all the non-M E90-ers how much fun they're missing... like $2000 rod bearings as scheduled maintenance.
My local Chrysler dealer has a 2013 E92 M3 for sale. It's been there for almost a year now. They can't sell it. I've been trying to get a good deal on it by pointing out the rod bearings as a required maintenance item for anyone who buys the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I own both a tuned 335i and an M3. I strongly favor the M3. My 335i will beat it in a straight line. That is where it ends.

My M3 is in the shop, thanks to me being rear-ended in traffic. I've been driving he 335 daily for a week and a half. I want me M3 back and badly. Not knocking my 335i, its a beast. The drive, though, compared to my M3, isn't even in the same ballpark.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
I think your sarcasm detector needs to be recalibrated for high-altitude operation. ;)

2008 M3 = E90 platform not E46 = S65 engine not S54.
Well, I guess the S65 is afflicted with the same bearing disease. :rolleyes:

I was counting the days on doing mine when I ran across the E93 335is and decided to get off that roller coaster.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,576 Posts
I own both a tuned 335i and an M3. I strongly favor the M3. My 335i will beat it in a straight line. That is where it ends.

My M3 is in the shop, thanks to me being rear-ended in traffic. I've been driving he 335 daily for a week and a half. I want me M3 back and badly. Not knocking my 335i, its a beast. The drive, though, compared to my M3, isn't even in the same ballpark.

I swapped cars with a friend of mine for about a week so we could both see what the other had, and honestly at out altitude I preferred the power delivery of mine over his, but I did like the suspension of the M3 more. All in all I prefer mine, but to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I swapped cars with a friend of mine for about a week so we could both see what the other had, and honestly at out altitude I preferred the power delivery of mine over his, but I did like the suspension of the M3 more. All in all I prefer mine, but to each his own I guess.
Indeed. My brother is also a Bimmer guy and we used to have the 335/M3 debate occasionally. Ultimately it comes down to personal driving tastes. It could also be that my car is in the shop and I really, really miss it. :(

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Those don't look too bad to me (depending on the miles on the engine). Certainly don't look like they're about to fail.

Remember bearings are made to wear and thus protect the non-replaceable parts, like rods and crank shafts.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i hate turbo motors so in that sense, spending the $2k on rod bearings is a small price to pay.
The BE bearings/ARP bolts are on the way as we speak.

Now the 335 crowd can promptly crucify me and that's totally fine. :p
While we argue the merits of each, electric mobility is fast approaching so we are blessed to live in the golden age of ICEs.:eek:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
While we argue the merits of each, electric mobility is fast approaching so we are blessed to live in the golden age of ICEs.:eek:
I just bought my first one and am waiting for it to be shipped to me ! :bigpimp:

·
Read Only
735 Posts
1) I would like to see someone published the actual BMW documentation page, that itemizes "bearings" as a maintenance item.
2) I've never seen/heard of a bearing failure that is "normal wear", in 50+ years of driving/racing/ownership. Destroying an engine in 1/4 mile is considered normal on a dragstrip.
3) What is pictured could be oil starvation, too thin of oil for the operating temperature &/or clearances for that engine. Or, to thick of oil, while initially operating the engine in very cold conditions.
4) Chronically lugging the engine (only possible with a manual transmission). That means operating the engine under heavy load, in too tall of gear, under to high of load. The symptoms are a perceptible shudder in the cabin as the drive train shudders w/vibration.

Reasons for above: Bearings, by design, by any fool, are meant to float on a film of oil, throughout the normal operating range and temperatures of the engine. They can never make contact with another metal surface, unless something seriously goes wrong with the supply of proper weight/grade oil to that bearing. Theoretically, a bearing should last forever, as long as debris is never allowed inside the engine. (Yes, you can leave a car in a barn for 50 years and the film of oil will have dissolved away. On startup, there will be metal on metal contact.)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just bought my first one and am waiting for it to be shipped to me ! :bigpimp:
What did you end up getting? My daily commute nowadays is 7 miles roundtrip so a single charge would last me 2 months! :p
If i was practical I'd sell all 4 cars and get a scooter or use public transportation on cold/rainy days. But we don't do practical and this is a car forum so automotive toys are here to stay! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
1) I would like to see someone published the actual BMW documentation page, that itemizes "bearings" as a maintenance item.
2) I've never seen/heard of a bearing failure that is "normal wear", in 50+ years of driving/racing/ownership. Destroying an engine in 1/4 mile is considered normal on a dragstrip.
3) What is pictured could be oil starvation, too thin of oil for the operating temperature &/or clearances for that engine. Or, to thick of oil, while initially operating the engine in very cold conditions.
4) Chronically lugging the engine (only possible with a manual transmission). That means operating the engine under heavy load, in too tall of gear, under to high of load. The symptoms are a perceptible shudder in the cabin as the drive train shudders w/vibration.

Reasons for above: Bearings, by design, by any fool, are meant to float on a film of oil, throughout the normal operating range and temperatures of the engine. They can never make contact with another metal surface, unless something seriously goes wrong with the supply of proper weight/grade oil to that bearing. Theoretically, a bearing should last forever, as long as debris is never allowed inside the engine. (Yes, you can leave a car in a barn for 50 years and the film of oil will have dissolved away. On startup, there will be metal on metal contact.)
No arguments here, the issue is well documented so the redesigned BE bearings correct the clearance issues to prevent oil starvation. Shame on BMW for not stepping up and rectifying the design flaw! :thumbdwn:
At least we have a relatively palatable $2-3k solution...

·
Registered
827 Posts
My 0.02 here. I think the E9x M3 Motor is better suited for the track than the N54/N55. But I felt that you always have to rev the hell out of it on the street for performance relative to the N54.

You can close the gap easily enough with bolt on suspension upgrades between the 335 and the M3 (and the 328).

Anyway given all the variables and options, I felt that the 335is was a better car for me than the M3 for street only driving.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,579 Posts
Late model BMW big end bearings are INOX polymer coated to provide lubrication and prevent metal contact during frequent Automatic Start & Stop start-up without lubrication.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts