BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a MINI dealer this week and they had a 2008 MINI Cooper S that had been used as a demo, meaning they let someone borrow it while their MINI was shipped to the dealer. Basically, it has just over 1800 miles on it, but the dealer is still treating it as a new car. They are only willing to discount it $1/mile, plus increasing all the warranties by 5000 miles. The MSRP is $25200, but they are listing it as $23,400 with an additional 5,000 miles tacked onto the warranties. Does that sound like a good deal or should I hold out for a new one?

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're comfortable with the notion that it might or might not have been beat on (you basically have no idea of its driven history), then by all means, take the discount if its close to a spec that you like. Otherwise, hold out for a new one.

·
Alpine White Collector
145 Posts
I was at a MINI dealer this week and they had a 2008 MINI Cooper S that had been used as a demo, meaning they let someone borrow it while their MINI was shipped to the dealer. Basically, it has just over 1800 miles on it, but the dealer is still treating it as a new car. They are only willing to discount it $1/mile, plus increasing all the warranties by 5000 miles. The MSRP is $25200, but they are listing it as $23,400 with an additional 5,000 miles tacked onto the warranties. Does that sound like a good deal or should I hold out for a new one?
The problem is with that 'demo" you don't really know how the car was driven. Mosts people don't care about it since they know its no their car, so they may not have followed all the proper engine break in procedures initially.

I'd get a new one over a demo any day.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
If you're comfortable with the notion that it might or might not have been beat on (you basically have no idea of its driven history), then by all means, take the discount if its close to a spec that you like. Otherwise, hold out for a new one.
I agree... If you are comfortable with the car, the offer seems more than fair.. $1800 for 1800 miles? Not bad..

If the MINI demo warranty works like BMW, you'll also get 3 extra months from the in-service date, in addition to the extra 5K miles.. AND.. that's what you want to check... what is the warranty expiration date? If the car was put into service in January, then you'll have a little less than 4 years on the warranty..

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've never looked at demo car pricing before. $1800 of a brand new mini is a great deal. I'm not sure if $1800 off msrp for a used car is such a great deal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
In my mind, it would depend on how long you plan on keeping it. If you are not going to keep it for a long time chances are that even if it was mistreated you won't have it long enough for the effects to manifest into the need for a repair. On the other hand, if you are planning on keeping it for a significant time, then I'd hold off.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
I've never looked at demo car pricing before. $1800 of a brand new mini is a great deal. I'm not sure if $1800 off msrp for a used car is such a great deal.
Let's put it this way... I'll rent you any car I own for $1 per mile, and take my chances... ;-)

Heck.. I'll even go buy you a car, and rent it to you...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
So, if the car had 25,000 miles, it'd be almost free?

Sarcasm aside, one benefit in buying a sightly used car is that you can ascertain if there are any rattles. I cannot imagine someone thrashing a motor these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts